B3 & B6 SOHC parts interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 & B6 SOHC parts interchange

Does anyone have the "definitive" answer on internal engine parts will interchange between the B3 and a B6 SOHC from a Merc Tracer? I know the bore/pistons are different but the stroke is the same. Will the rods & crank interchange? Is the B6 SOHC a steel crank? Any differences with balance weight, wrist pins, rod length & weight, main seals etc?

I can't find a good used B6 anywhere reasonable, so I may as well build one from scratch. I found a Tracer at a local J/Y with 91K miles on the odometer. It says "bad motor-good auto" on the windshield. They said they have no idea what was wrong with it and never tried to start it----but it will turn over. Could have a rod bearing out, cracked head, who knows. If I can get it for cheap I would take my chances and pull it apart to do a rebuild. They have another B6 that they used in their "yard car" as well. It supposedly ran great but blew a head gasket. Possibly has a cracked/warped head but good short block. I think I can get both motors for under $100. If most B3 parts interchange then all I really need is a good block, pistons and head. I can even do a re-bore & new pistons if needed.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

well first off im pretty sure the heads are different, i had a 323 and festiva one side by side and i even think the head gaskets are a bit different... im pretty sure the cranks and rods are the same though.

its very very rare to find a broken b6 motor especially in a 323... i say pull out that motor and figure out whats wrong with it first, tear it appart because it might be something stupid like a dizzy or coil!

if it turns over its not siezed... and the likeley hood of that thing spinning a

Comment

Working...
    X