No announcement yet.

New carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW Dan, the idle adjustment screw only is in effect at idle, and up to about 1500 - 2000 RPM at the most. Above that, the main jets are the determinants of how rich the car is running. So having it a little rich at idle, via the screw, is not a bad thing since it will have little effect on MPGs overall.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ok. Kozak, can you explain the differences? Like why one vs two vacuum lines, and what do they each do? I like the link to the new vacuum advance for $35. Mine is original and prolly dont work so good.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        BTW Dan, the idle adjustment screw only is in effect at idle, and up to about 1500 - 2000 RPM at the most. Above that, the main jets are the determinants of how rich the car is running. So having it a little rich at idle, via the screw, is not a bad thing since it will have little effect on MPGs overall.
        Yes, it feels "over carbureted" now. I'm sure I may need diff jets.
        It doesnt like low RPM, I have to rev it for a smooth take off. It stumbles bad at low RPM on take offf, then comes into it and accellerates, but can hear it still bogging a little. Once at speed and crusing, does pretty good with just barely any gas pedal at all. Can take off real slow if I dont give it much gas, just let get going on its own, and some feathering of the pedal.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
          Yes, it feels "over carbureted" now. I'm sure I may need diff jets.
          It doesnt like low RPM, I have to rev it for a smooth take off. It stumbles bad at low RPM on take offf, then comes into it and accellerates, but can hear it still bogging a little. Once at speed and crusing, does pretty good with just barely any gas pedal at all. Can take off real slow if I dont give it much gas, just let get going on its own, and some feathering of the pedal.
          Yeah, if that carb was from a Porsche 914, it had a lot more motor than a Festy, hence larger main jets than we need. The plugs wll probably be black.
          Last edited by TominMO; 09-06-2010, 05:50 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Been reading up on the Weber, and found that it is "self diagnosing" for the jets. The mixture screw is supposed to be 1 1/2-2 turns out from all the way in. Less than 1 turn out and it need smaller jets, more than 2 turns out and it needs larger jets.
            Right now I have no clue how many turns out, it is. I just turned it until it smoothed out. I will be looking at it this evening, after work.
            Hey Tom, if your not doing anything, you are invited to the party!
            Last edited by drddan; 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM.
            Dan

R.I.P.
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Its not rocket science. I posted sometime back about the vacuum advance going bad on mine. Even posted pics though not sure they are still up. I replaced it with an adjustable advance made for a Chev V8 that I got for under $10 shipped new off ebay. I had to tinker making it so it would bolt up to Festy distributor and all, but works fine. I wasnt going to buy another distributor just cause the vacuum advance went bad. This is a SIMPLE mechanism.

I dont remember exact model of weber I have. It came in a Redline kit to convert an early Rabbit with all adapters and everything and definitely smaller than 32/36 used on Vegas and Pintos and such. Anyway my '77 Rabbit came with CIS fuel injection (non=computer). When it went bad and they started quoting crazy prices for repairs, I got a carb manifold off a '76 Rabbit and this conversion kit. Rabbit had an automatic (you dont ever want an early Rabbit with an automatic due to starter placement) and at best got 32mpg with fuel injection. After the Weber carb, I got 36!!! Right out of the box!!! On Festiva with 4spd, if I keep my foot out of it, it will reach 50mpg on good day.

Have a 1.6L out of a 323 in my Festy. I much prefer the 323 intake over the Festy intake. Its offset more towards drivers side so you can get to oil filter and alternator much easier from up top. I just made a sheet metal bracket bolted to valve cover for the stock cable as Weber has cable hookup on passenger side of the carb. Cable was plenty long enough though as I said, I used the 323 intake that came with the engine and it offsets more towards drivers side. There are generic throttle cables if stock cable isnt long enough. I got a Spectre cable for like $22 when I put the straight six in my Ford Ranger. It worked fine and was designed so you can cut it to length you need. Sure it would work on Festy without too much hassle. Even looks nice.
              Last edited by Banana Bonanza; 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM.

Comment

just a quick little tip, type 50 mpg into Google and a calculator to work out Litres/100km's

this whole thread is something i would like to do to mine.. by the sounds of it, there is a little work to be done, but sounds extremely worth it.
                Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                Highway - 7.32L/100km
                City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Working...
                X