B8 w/350 cfm 2-bbl carb, cam & headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobstad View Post
    0KAY, BUTT, is my theorizing about longevity accurate?
    As a general rule of thumb, yes, fuel injected engines will typically experience less wear than a carb version. This is due to the more exact fuel mixing ability and over-all cleaner combustion. However, like TominMO stated, there is no reason a carb engine can't go 300K+ miles if in proper tune. By the same example, an EFI engine can wear very quickly (and even self destruct) if the fuel mixture is incorrect. All it takes is a small glitch or problem to lean the mixture out to the point of catastrophic failure. That's why tuning with an AFR is important when you start playing with forced induction, major mods or start playing with the fuel maps. With a carb, if you're at least in the ballpark with the jetting you'll get fuel with the air. The key is that an EFI system will maintain the proper mixture in more situations, more often and for a longer life span than you can feasibly get from a carb.

If you are really after more torque for towing, there is no comparison. An EFI system will have much better torque characteristics and a broader, flatter torque curve than a carb. My suggestion for you is a B8ME swap with the factory fuel injection. Cheap, easy, Torque-O-Plenty and fuel efficient. There is no advantage in even attempting a carb setup, unless your Festy is already carb car.

PS: I think you meant BUT......not BUTT :pottytrain1:
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Beats huffing for a buzz; but then so does...

Here is a queer thought, no butts about that...lol: What if, sort of thing?

Could there be a way to make an on-board ongoing nitrous manufacturing device, so a car could be using some well thought out combination of normal aspiration with an added nitrous bleed-in or maybe even a pure nitrous/fuel mixture?

NO2 must be pretty damned simple stuff is my notion, but so is hydrogen of course and that must be pretty difficult to manufacture. Just a guess, but one imagines elements and/or combinations given to combustion, likely are simpler than others more stable?

Or, perhaps I'm naive in assuming any atomic element or combination of those to be "simple" in any sense of the word; where my knowledge is so sketchy I'm only going to say that at the atomic level there are neutrons, protons and electrons, though beyond that I'm clueless as to what is actually going on except for orbits of these things probably.

Anyway, the idea of using nitrous as continual enhancement to a car's normal operation rather than for brief acceleration only, came to mind;* then soon enough, wanting to be liberated from carrying a pressurized tank and be refilling the thing all the time.

I suppose if this were at all feasible there would be a lot of use for that sort of technology, which would've proliferated vastly by now.

The idea would probably have merit from an ecological point of view, both in creating cleaner more thorough combustion and also using less fuel: Not to mention making motors, likely smaller; since more powerful and efficient.

Oh, and does the stuff hot-rodents use act the same as that of dentists, for sans auto entertainments? I've wondered about that a lot, since obtaining any type of such an "element" is always seemingly so heavily monitored and controlled. Though I also have a feeling there are anti-prohibitionist realms much disguised, where the general trends get morphed by overwhelming desire/demand; though perhaps with automotive/combustion oriented nitrous, this is able to be somehow "denatured" so to say?

*While composing another post to this thread I'm still working at.
      Last edited by bobstad; 09-12-2010, 08:34 AM.
      '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

It is the same thing as used in the dentistry profession. The motorsports program where I went to college was ordering it from the supplier for the dentistry program and using it in place of Automotive NO2.
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

cumsumkindabellcurves

For some reason Arronbrook37's post has me excited; perhaps as this bears upon my interests musically somehow/someway I'm not sure of-where my primary focus is with woodwinds?*

And, too now; the following post by TominMo has me feeling a mixed reaction? Since accepting in principle the idea of fuel-injection working as I'd mentioned. Though both my own subconscious denial since pursuit of the idea of carburetors has drawn me along inside that perspective; with, as I'm thinking some sort of relationship to perhaps my muysikel 'elf 2.....

*I've been making odd musical instruments for years now, yet still would find willow slip flutes an inventive process; or at least pretty novel to attempt. What currently and for some time has had me deeply frustrated-as well as intrigued; is how to accurately place tone-holes on either cylindrical or conical bore wind instruments, in order to achieve both tone & an accurate pitch?

What got me started was when in a process ending using a transistor radio to tune to off KPFA-FM's morning & evening news and their five day a week FLASHPOINTS investigative journalism show; whose themes then were all music by a women's saxophone band-the BILLY TIPTON MEMORIAL SAXOPHONE QUARTET.

I chanced to make a tiny horn in the key of E from pieces of an Eb clarinet's bell, barrel, mouthpiece and key body tenons, a hand's breadth long with nine tone holes which played incredibly well, over blowing the octave like a flute, oboe or saxophone or any of the common simpler woodwinds like reed flutes. Installing the sixth through ninth tone holes and sculpting all nine to my fingers is when the BTMSQ came in so handy.

Despite being chromatic except for the necessary whole tone which was going to be in the space under the left thumb which was nearest of the two to my face and between the highest and next highest to be third highest tone holes. Somehow I'd spaced out doing the left thumb when not aware what the pitches were; when installing each tone hole on the horn.

After discerning schematically what was what I'd sculpted a spot and was wondering how best to approach the problem of drilling a tone hole to place that in the sculpted spot which would of yielded the closest to an appropriate pitch; that is then fine tuned as the hole is made larger so both pitch and tone coincide as process: Since at the upper range the holes are much smaller than the lower pitches; while I'd already lucked out with the two then current top tones, where there is also the problem of playing becoming more complex and difficult to learn, as the number of holes increases.

Though the project has become a little dissipated since March 7th, 2007; after driving down from Bellingham to Eureka for one of eight monster loads moving myself. using fourteen Vicodin I get for chronic pain management due to ramifications of spinal disease earlier in my life, which proved useless to stay awake with: But, after unloading following my fourteen hour drive through the night so wired I decided to stop and show off the miniscule horn at MOJO MUSIC.

When I'd mistakenly set back my wrist-watch an hour a week early, so got there before they'd opened and managed to lock my keys in my car then getting out the emergency key, spaced out the horn in its Tupperware container on the roof; I heard clatter to the street and watched standing beside the Festiva parked at the curb, as a late model grey party van ran over the instrument like a beer can the driver likely didn't even notice is one theory: Though I also have wild conspiracy paranoia about the whole event too...as the national anti-holiday passes once again: Come to think of that now, also/too.
          Last edited by bobstad; 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I wonder if anyone has any notions about where information concerning "the venturi effect" might be found; which likely relates to sonic phenomena such as the bells of any wind musical instruments...?

Sorta due west of LA about a hundred miles yet keepin' dry, trying to answer my own question; to give an idea of how lost this feels.
            Last edited by bobstad; 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X