Performance clutch disc question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance clutch disc question

Finally located a good running B6 with 130K miles out of a '89 Tracer for $300. This will be the easiest & quickest way to get back on the road before the snow flies. I plan on using the Festy trans, since I just rebuilt it about 20K miles ago. I also installed a new Exedy clutch & P Plate at that time. I'm sure the stock Exedy clutch will handle the stock B6 if I drive like a sane person, but I really would like a little bit of "service factor". I just don't want to put a $250 clutch kit behind a $300 B6, So......................

Has anyone ever installed a higher friction aftermarket clutch disc with the factory pressure plate? I'm thinking I can get a decent upgraded clutch disc for about $100 (?) and it would give me that little extra grip. If I keep the new Exedy P Plate, I'll still have the light pedal effort and save some money. Anyone have any opinions or experience on this? Any reason it wouldn't work? Any brand suggestions?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

you'd be better off just getting an OEM clutch instead of mix-matching clutch disc's/pressure plates cause lets face it, a B6 isn't exactly a high horsepower engine.... i just tried using a dual frication centreforce clutch disc with my used V6 pressure plate..... the Dual friction clutch grabbed great with the B6T, and slips on the V6.... and the OEM V6 clutch disc is identical size to the B6T clutch, so it's not a matter of size difference, my flywheel and pressure plate would both need to be re-surfaced in order to make the mix-match worth while

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

you can have the most amazing clutch disk, but it doesnt do any good if the p plate cant clamp it down tight enough. just stick with what youve got and plan on it slipping a little when your beatin it up, or fork over the cash for the good clutch set with the stronger p plate.
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
        you can have the most amazing clutch disk, but it doesnt do any good if the p plate cant clamp it down tight enough. just stick with what youve got and plan on it slipping a little when your beatin it up, or fork over the cash for the good clutch set with the stronger p plate.
        I know what you're saying, but I guess my thinking was along these lines:

If you have 2 steel plates and insert a piece of silk cloth between them, then set a 100Lb weight on top of the "sandwiched" assembly. You could probably yank on the silk and pull it right out from between the plates. Now, instead of silk cloth, do the same with a sheet of pure gum rubber.
        In other words, with any given consistent clamp force, by increasing the coefficient of friction of the media material you increase the force required to initiate slip. What I'm not sure of is if modern performance clutch materials are harder or something and require more clamp force to "stick". I was thinking that one of the organic materials may give a slight increase in hold with the stock P Plate. It's not like I need a huge increase with a stock B6. Guess I could always call one of the manufacturer tech lines.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

unfortunately the majority of the manufacturers wont be to eager with advising on a Festiva. In their eyes we just own basic economy cars and dont have the need for anything better. Case in point SPEC is the only company i have found that makes a beter than stock clutch for the festiva flywheel. You should be fine with a stock clutch setup. i have been runing the stock clutch with my b6 for years, if i didnt drive it like i stole it it would last just fine. For the most part it grips just fine.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Look into clutchnet.com They have more options
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I'd stick with stock clutch, rather than mix and match. I put a $50 Ebay clutch and p-plate behind my BP swap and it was well over 40K before it started slipping, and I beat on it all the time. I had a $100 McParts clutch in my B6 car for a long time, beat the heck out of it every chance I got, and still didn't get it slipping.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
              X