B6 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 ?

O.K. so I am in the process of preparing for a b6 swap in my 91 GL and I have read a lot about the swap but I still have a couple of questions first of all my swap motor is out of an '88 323. First question I believe the answer to this question to be yes but for the best fuel mileage I use the stock Festiva transmission? Second what kind of fuel mileage can I expect to get I am just looking for an average as I know alot of it depends on driving style. Thanks for any help I am sure these won't be the last questions I'll have while doing this swap.
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

When I did my swap, it was with the stock festy trans (5 speed), and if I stayed under 60 mph I could average 41 mpg. But that was with the correct b6 ecu: B61K.
    The car will run with the B3 ecu, but really comes alive with the B6 ecu.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I plan on using the B6 ecu I have the whole car so I can take anything off of it that I need
      Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

I would use the festiva transmission - lower RPMs on the highway and its much easier.

You can expect high 30's low 40s. Mileage doesn't change too much, from what I've seen maybe a 3mpg average drop from B3 to B6. There are other factors that will affect it more, suspension, tires, pressure, etc.
        With my B6 I was getting 38 back and forth to work (driving pretty hard), and got 43-45 on the highway. But I had my front end lowered (less drag) and larger 14" tires (less RPMs) inflated at 44 psi (max sidewall).
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

My B6 swap gets 38mpg, but I run it hard. 15 miles to work on Interstate.
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Yeah, ^ it's a great deal really, a 25% power gain, but without a significant mileage penalty, but don't throw that 323 trans away just yet! If you do start running this thing hard, you know, auto/rallycross etc. You'll want the stronger trans option. Has that Mazda got the 4 speed or the 5 speed trans by the way?
            Last edited by iceracerdude; 10-18-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

It has the 5 speed I was just gonna stick it in the corner of the shop and hang on to it I have also made a deal for a mid-range performance cam for this motor was this a good idea or will I sacrifice too much mpg I am also looking for a header for this motor I got a heck of a deal on the cam I hope it won't kill my mileage

Comment

Boy, your really sitting on the fence on this one. You want performance, but not at the risk of mileage...Have you seen the new honda commercial for their "hybrid/performace" car?

I once heard a quote about cars that went something like this: "as far as cheap, fast or reliable goes, you can only pick two"...interestingly, that's been my experience with women too!
                Last edited by iceracerdude; 10-18-2010, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                  Boy, your really sitting on the fence on this one. You want performance, but not at the risk of mileage...Have you seen the new honda commercial for their "hybrid/performace" car?

I once heard a quote about cars that went something like this: "as far as cheap, fast or reliable goes, you can only pick two"...interestingly, that's been my experience with women too!
                  CHEAP and FAST, right? LOL
                  Chuck
                  Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                  If money will fix it, it's not broken
                  91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                  93 GL - Lil Red
                  91 L - Tweetystiva
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Yeah I realize that I can't have my cake and eat it too. I know that I will lose mpg when I swap the motor and cam it. I am just trying to figure out what to expect. If I decide that I want better mileage I will drive one of my stock Festivas. I am just trying to build something fun and still be able to afford to drive it daily if I want. This is why I decided to go with the B6 over another swap. So this is what I am trying to do. I figured to be in the mid 30s which I am happy with. My car has a/c and power steering so I figured that with the cam and header I could counter act the loss of horsepower caused by the a/c and p/s

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                      ?

My dad used to tell me that all the time about the wood working industry....its so true!!
                      Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
                        Yeah I realize that I can't have my cake and eat it too. I know that I will lose mpg when I swap the motor and cam it. I am just trying to figure out what to expect. If I decide that I want better mileage I will drive one of my stock Festivas. I am just trying to build something fun and still be able to afford to drive it daily if I want. This is why I decided to go with the B6 over another swap. So this is what I am trying to do. I figured to be in the mid 30s which I am happy with. My car has a/c and power steering so I figured that with the cam and header I could counter act the loss of horsepower caused by the a/c and p/s
                        I'm doing the same thing with a stock B6. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the B3 ECU & injectors for now and see what kind of mileage I can get. If I can stay around 45mpg and have a little more power on the highway it would be great. If I can find a good spare B6 head, I'll do some porting on it and put the FMS cam in it. Then next spring I'll swap the head, B6 ECU, injectors and a header. Right now, I just need to get the car going so I can quit driving my F250 to work (100 miles one way).
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

From what I've read you want to use the B6 ecu and injectors because if not the engine won't run the best it can

Comment

Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
                            From what I've read you want to use the B6 ecu and injectors because if not the engine won't run the best it can
                            That's true, but many people just used the Festy intake, injectors and ECU on the 1st GEN B3 back in the "early years". It will run fine, just won't be up to it's max potential. I don't have a B6 ECU and the B6 I found has been sitting for a while. I'm guessing the injectors are probably stuck, so for the benefit of time I was just going to use the B3 stuff to start. If the B6 runs good and appears to be in decent mechanical shape, I'll find a B6 ECU and send the B6 injectors out for a rebuild/clean. No point in spending a bunch of money and the time to swap the ECU until I know how the motor turns out!
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                            X