Cam ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam ?

I am wondering if I could use the aspire roller "rockers" and such with an aftermarket cam(FMS)? Is there any benefit to doing this? A friend of mine used the aspire stuff in his stock B3 and he said it made a difference in throttle response. I don't know if this is true or not so I thought I would ask here to confirm it thanks
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

This is on the FMS site with the cams:

PART NAME PRICE DESCRIPTION
    155-10

Festiva/Aspire Competition Camshaft

$160.00/ea

All new performance camshaft. Uses Hydraulic rocker arms. Great for street/strip. Makes power from 2500 RPMs to redline. Good idle.
    155-11

Festiva/Aspire Race Camshaft

$250.00/ea

All new performance camshaft. Uses Hydraulic rocker arms. Power from 3500 to redline. Recommended minimum 10:1 compression. Rough idle

If I remember correctly someone on here said that they tried it with no bad effects, but ..... FMS says no to roller rockers with their performance cams.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

This has been the subject of many discussions before. Try this thread;
      Also, there are several other threads in the Custom Engine & Drivetrain forum. Just do the search in the forum, there's a ton of info and it will be a lot easier to direct you to it than go through it all!

Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Aspire uses a roller cam and followers, naturally this means less friction in the valvetrain, so possibly slightly more power/better mpg. Oh yeah you can safely run oil that lacks ZDDP too.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
          This has been the subject of many discussions before. Try this thread;
          Also, there are several other threads in the Custom Engine & Drivetrain forum. Just do the search in the forum, there's a ton of info and it will be a lot easier to direct you to it than go through it all!

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=Aspire+roller
          Thanks for the link that's enough to make me not do it. However when I called FMS and finally talked to someone they said that their cams could be used in the Festiva and the aspire with out changing anything else on the motor so this confused me because I thought that aspires had the roller setup from the factory. Thanks for the help
          Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

Every Aspire I've taken the VC off of had the rollers. Supposedly the carb cam with the hydraulically adjusted rockers is a good combo. I remember we put in a carb cam and manually adjusted rockers on an Aspire. It pulled hard up to about 2500 but almost no power at all cruising above 3k (might not have been so bad if it hadn't been an auto though).
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

That's a good point the carb cars didn't have hydraulic rockers so according to what has been said here you couldn't use a FMS cam in a carb motor without changing to hla's am I correct in this assumption if so if so someone should inform whoever answers the phone at Fms that you can only use their cam in the aspire and carbed Festiva if you swap the rocker assembly I just hate getting told two different things. It is confusing although it would be alot better if I could get more info on the cam but that isn't gonna happen

Comment

I have the Competition Camshaft with Aspire roller rockers and I have had ZERO issues

I am the original

Comment

How long have you had it? Are you running stock springs?

Comment

I have an Aspire engine with an FMS performance cam, and HLA rockers out of a '91 Festy, in an '89 LX carbed car and it runs great. Of course this doesn't answer your question. I used the roller rockers for a long time with the original Festy cam and didn't have any problems, just always knew it wasn't right.

Comment

From what I've read that is the way you are supposed to do it I was trying to get better performance with an after market cam, with a little better lower end throttle response with the roller assy. with out getting a custom ground cam. I still don't know if using a roller assy. the benefits out weigh the risks(price)

Comment

Working...
                      X