MAF screen removal on the aspire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF screen removal on the aspire...

During the installation of the k&n filter on my aspire I went ahead and removed the screen from the maf at that time. I mentioned this over at fordaspire.com hadn't got around to it on here yet. I really don't know what helped the most but one of them defianetly was the ticket. Here's a discussion over on the protege boards about the same topic. http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1977 Excellent informative writeup in my opinion. On the aspire it took some snips with wire cutters it wasn't to hard. It did take 20-30 min to finally get it done though.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

I must say i was very hesitant about the idea of messing with the MAF, but after reading that, I'm going out in the cold to bring some more life to my baby. Great searching Eric.
    Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

Comment

i know if you mess with the MAF in any way on Ford modular V8s it totally fubars the transfer function and you end up going lean.

Ford really really did a great job designing the MAF on those engines.

No clue if that much time was taken on aspire mafs....but I'd never do it personally.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
        i know if you mess with the MAF in any way on Ford modular V8s it totally fubars the transfer function and you end up going lean.

Ford really really did a great job designing the MAF on those engines.

No clue if that much time was taken on aspire mafs....but I'd never do it personally.
        ????? I mess with Ford's corporate MAF sensors all the time. You just need to know what to read and how to read it (data stream). Removing the screen from a MAF won't affect it at all. Its there to prevent large debris (that may have made it past the filter) from clogging the sample tube. Removing it may help a small amount at high rpm, but doesn't do a thing for low rpm operation. In fact, screens have been found to aid in smoothing the flow of air through them. Some turbulence is good (small Karmann vorticies formed behind each segment of wire in the screen) for atomization, but excessive turbulence just kills velocity, hurting volumetric efficiency.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I removed the screen in my MAF really no difference, but i ha vent been on the highway yet so we'll see in a few days.
          Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

Comment

Like I said I don't know how much it helped since I did the k&n at the same time. On the chevy cars that have the double mesh maf screens they noticed 2-3hp difference. I wouldn't think of messing with the maf on the 2000 F150, I may be brave but not that brave!!
            I took pics just for the hell of it:

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

aww nuthing to em. on my 94 cougar (mod motor) i went ahead and removed the lower part of the support structure inside the maf. never looked back. also half shafted the tb to help flow out until i can do the dohc swap. as long as your careful you have nothing to worry about.
              Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
              1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
              1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
              2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Working...
              X