Disabling egr on the aspire..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling egr on the aspire..

Couple days ago I made a tin plate to seal off the egr valve. It defiantely runs smoother.. alot smoother and idles lower. As far as a power increase.. not as I can tell. The gas gauge sure isn't moving much for as hard as I'm driving so there might be a difference in gas mileage. I cleaned the egr valve a couple months ago so the arguement that it needed to be cleaned need not apply. I put the tin plate on the egr valve side of the gasket. What years did the Festiva's have egr valves? I could have sworn that my 91 had one but it doesn't, but it has the vent in the head for it.. I guess a Califronia emissions thing?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

only carbed and CA cars to my knowledge. I did this on Uncle Fester as well, and had the same results (smoother idle, better response, better fuel economy). but beware, NOx emissions do go up, almost to the point of failure (emission test)
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
      only carbed and CA cars to my knowledge. I did this on Uncle Fester as well, and had the same results (smoother idle, better response, better fuel economy). but beware, NOx emissions do go up, almost to the point of failure (emission test)
      Where is this EGR valve located? :twisted:

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

passenger side of the engine, bolted to the intake manifold almost adjacent to the carb, positioned slightly under the air cleaner.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

passenger side of the engine, bolted to the intake manifold almost adjacent to the carb, positioned slightly under the air cleaner.
          Awesome. I'll disable it on my next carb'd Festiva, because Washington (to my knowledge) doesn't have emissions testing but Texas does.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

disable it now, and just re-enable it before your test. All I did was unplug the two solenoids.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

disable it now, and just re-enable it before your test. All I did was unplug the two solenoids.

That's it? I thought it would involve disconnecting and plugging pipes or something.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

(the voice of Ron Popiel) IT'S JUST THAT EASY!!!!!
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I only have/see one. It's got a yellow plug.

Regards,

Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

On the aspire if you just unplug it or plug up the vacuum line it will throw a cel so I guess you carb'd guys are lucky.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Once again, not sure how sophisticated our systems are compared to the Ford modular engines, but on the mods if you don't reprogram your computer for the EGR delete it's "Welcome to Ping City."

On those motors everything is expecting a certain amount of exhaust gas because the computer just said it's coming. So when that doesn't happen then bad things can occur.
                      www.dantheoilman.com
                      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
                        Once again, not sure how sophisticated our systems are compared to the Ford modular engines, but on the mods if you don't reprogram your computer for the EGR delete it's "Welcome to Ping City."

On those motors everything is expecting a certain amount of exhaust gas because the computer just said it's coming. So when that doesn't happen then bad things can occur.
                        once again, not true (1994 and up). Ford EEC systems monitor EGR flow, and compensate when it doesn't detect flow. The pcm will turn on the MIL to alert the operator that there is an emissions concern, but the vehicle will run just fine.

On a carbed Festy, introduction of EGR reduces manifold vacuum, which reduces fuel delivery. The absence of EGR flow simply allows manifold vacuum to stay high at cruise, drawing more fuel from the main circuit to match airflow. This seems counter-intuitive for increased fuel economy. The end result, however, is less throttle angle required to maintain speed, due to a slight increase in power due to lack of EGR flow. The reduction in throttle angle more than compensates for the lack of EGR, resulting in increased fuel economy.

Tim, you have two solenoids. The yellow one on the right (passenger) side and a green (I think) one on the driver's side, mixed in with the electrical load (red), A/C (orange), and Pulse Air (blue) solenoids. The yellow is the control solenoid, the green one is the vent solenoid. If you don't don't unplug the vent, vacuum can creep past the control valve and partially hang open the egr valve, causing a runs rough at low rpm condition.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Combustion temps will still go up. Which is why the pinging happens on the V8s.

I could have sworn the spark timing changes when EGR flow isn't present. /shrug
                          www.dantheoilman.com
                          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

the knock sensor retards timing if ping is detected. No timing calculations based on DPFE values (Delta Pressure Feedback Egr)
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                            X