cold air intake idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold air intake idea

They run coolent to the TB. So would there be any gain to making an inner and outer pipe to run cold air. weld the 2 together and run coolent around the inner pipe through the outer pipe? just and idea let me know what u think!

CAI

Nope. Don't mean to shoot ya down, but think about it...

Your thermostat opens @ 180 degrees (roughly) to cycle the coolant, AND, aluminum is a superb conductor of heat... so with hot coolant running through any metal(let alone aluminum) is just going to make the intake of fresh air warm in the winter, and sweltering F'n hot in the summer.

I haven't done it, nor will I, but think about using the A/C instead. That presents it's own set of problems though, like robbing precious engine power to run the compressor, for a gain of not that much.

Comment

u mean bypassing the IAC valve right?

the iac heats up so the idle is maintained. There is a gelatin-like actuator that heats up & expands and somehow that adjusts the idle. If you bypass the coolant to the IAC this gelatin won't ever warm up and your idle will become unpredictable.

ITs true you could actually see a gain in power by bypassing the coolant lines but you'll have to live with a weird idle. Plus the power gain isn't going to be much of anything.
      Wil
      02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
      00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
      05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
      93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
      96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
      93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Gro Harlem wrote:
        There is a gelatin-like actuator that heats up & expands and somehow that adjusts the idle
        Most manufactures use wax.

Thanks

Comment

same as a thermostat (wax pellet). as for the a/c idea, google the f-150 lightening show truck from last year. Ford took an evaporator and put it in a tank of coolant, isolated from the cac system (charge air cooling, like intercooler). when the driver hit a button, the chilled coolant was circulated through the wta (water to air) cac system, cooling the incoming air to about 30 deg below ambient. that means on an 80deg day, the air going into the engine would be about 50deg. sweet.......

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaBiker1971
            same as a thermostat (wax pellet). as for the a/c idea, google the f-150 lightening show truck from last year. Ford took an evaporator and put it in a tank of coolant, isolated from the cac system (charge air cooling, like intercooler). when the driver hit a button, the chilled coolant was circulated through the wta (water to air) cac system, cooling the incoming air to about 30 deg below ambient. that means on an 80deg day, the air going into the engine would be about 50deg. sweet.......
            That was what I was meaning. Sorry I didn't explan it better. I ment a seperate small tank and electric pump. hit the button instant "cold" air rushing into the intake.... So did it work on the 150? how well?

Comment

gave the lightening show truck about 50 extra horses. Of course we're talkin' about a 500hp engine, too
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
              X