No announcement yet.

1.3l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i go up with the timing or down???

93 festy L "bruiser"

Comment

If the nox is low in limits you can advance the timing. If the nox is already borderline high and the hc is also high you can try retarding the timing.
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

what is the nox? and could u guide me through the process?

93 festy L "bruiser"

Comment

i have nooo clue what knox is, but it should be done with a timing light, if you have one. if not then you should go buy one they are always good to have!

Comment

Knox is a brand of gelatin. When I had a mohawk I used it to make it all spikey. Works well.

NOX are Oxides of Nitrogen. I have been led to believe they are cause by a high combustion temperature, such as having too lean of a fuel mixture.

As far as timing goes: I dunno! I don't know much about car tuning yet. I was just told to rotate my distributor until the revs go down a little bit. This was to help alleviate my high NOX levels though, so I could pass my emissions test easier, didn't have anything to do with performance.
            1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

More cheers more beers, that's it that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
              okay here would be my little list for what you should do to make you car faster on abudget dime. Yes you could of searched it but 4 pages of getting nowhere could have been avoided by someone bored taking 2 mins to type this out : (like myself lol)

Disclamier: gutting the cat is illegal.....yah. and some of this stuff maybe a bit hard but give it a shot. Also depending on your mechanical abilities, some of these may be out of reach for you but asking questions and doing research will help you!

a) new plugs (with right gap), new oil and seafoam it. Getting most out of what you have first will make a big difference and help with fuel economy and other such things.. Seafoam will help clean your injectors, carbon bulidup, and other such things, im in love with the stuff. You can buy seafoam for 10bucks CAD at canadain tire i dunno about the states.

b) Gut the Cat= this is probably good for a hp or 2 on a stock festiva. Cat bolts might be rusty so lubricate them for week before you consider touching them, hit the inside with a broom stick, clear all the material from inside and put it back in. This also makes the car sound really good, not ricey and loud but raspy and noticable.

c) if you have a die grinder and a 12 bucks to buy a new exhaust manifold gasket (or use the same one) port match your exhaust ports to your exhaust manifold. Research how to do this because you can do more harm then doing good but this should also help pick up a couple hp depending on how bad the casting is.

d) Make an air intake with a cone filter, although this may be good for only 1 hp, its cheap and can look pretty cool. here is mine: its nothing more then an exhaust tube with some old festiva intake rubber, hose clamps, and a welded on bung. (you can buy a maf box to air filter adapter at any ricer performance shop, the rest is easy).

e)Play around with your timing, depending on what you want you may be able to get a 1/2 hp by lowering your timing by a couple degrees with a timing light, giving it more top end.
              i know this is an old thread but that adapter you made for the cone filter looks great an the intake tube is kool too ..thats to parts i would buy since i dont have my own shop to build it in
              Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Swap in a B6. You'll get more power than a B3 with half the cost if all these stupid mods... sorry but I'm with damkid on this.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If you cant have it out of commission more than a few days i suggest finding another engine and build it on the side or pay a little more for a confirmed running one. Buy the ecu, the specific harness/plugs, the vam, all the little things and have them ready. There are pretty good how to's for all the popular engines that can go into the festiva. If you go to junkyards and remove the pieces yourself youll have the plan in your head how to attack your own car on re-install as not everything goes in the same locations as the donor cars. If junkyards are like mine they charge about $250 for a complete engine with no core, so do not be modest to take off better looking or newer looking components off another engine that is messed up or already picked on--and stick it on yours when its time to make that purchase. It takes some extra time but once in a while you'll find cars with brand new items attached, stupid to NOT take advantage--the crusher won't discriminate if it doesn't get sold
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                  X