1995 Protege Z5: Is it OBD-II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Protege Z5: Is it OBD-II?

It probably is, but I'd like to make sure. If it isn't, wouldn't it be a nice candidate for an engine swap into a Festiva or Aspire?

Here is a link which says "no":

Could 1995 be one year for the 1.5 Z5 that is not OBD-II compliant? Would this mean it would be easier to swap into a Festiva or pre '96 Aspire? In other words, just because it is not "compliant" does not mean it would be easy. It could be worse, I suppose, incorporating some bastardized "in between" version of engine checking. BTW, in that same list, neither the 1.8 Protege nor the Kia Sephia 1.8 (both BPs) are deemed "compliant."

I'm kinda hoping they are more "OBD I" though...

Anyone know for sure?

Karl

PS: Going to that OBD II site's homepage shows it may be full of good reading to learn more about the OBD II systems.
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

No, i think its got a obd-2 style everything, which means crank pickup sensor and things like that. You'd have to reharness the car. This is not a big deal for someone who has a 1988, 1989 or a ford aspire. I always wanted to see someone swap in a z5 JDM or otherwise and see what kind of powerband it's got in a lighter car. The guy in the Philippines does these swaps all the time but i assume the engines he uses are Japanese specs and bit higher compression or more flow, or both. However I have seen the same JDM engines go for a song on ebay and other JDM engine sites as a direct replacement for the protege 1.5 sold stateside so i guess it works fine. (yes ive poked around and done some reading)

A cool benefit of taking a festiva to obd-2 management is the ability to plug in readers to troubleshoot and have onboard monitoring (I love gauges and nerdy stuff)

http://tinyurl.com/6kfydxh

I'd skip the 1995 electronics and go with a 1998 ecu and stuff.

My link has got a 1999 engine but his phone number is at the top. If they do installs there they might be able to answer quick questions on using usdm ecus with their engines.

Detour --- $350 for a JDM b6 i dont know if that's a good deal. http://tinyurl.com/6h63rgt
    Last edited by getnpsi; 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Thanks Getn.

Here is a link to a Protege site:

Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1995-1998 Models Only (BH chassis)

Seems to answer my question pretty well, and you appear to understand the possibilities of an "incomplete, but mostly there OBD II system" in the '95 Protege.

Hmmm. I'd probably need to do a total teardown, including dash, right? Wiring harnesses just look bad enough undisturbed in the car. Taking them out and mixing them up is scary to me.

On the other hand, shouldn't an OBD II Z5 or BP be relatively easy to put in an OBD II Aspire?

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
        "incomplete, but mostly there OBD II system"
        Yep, '95s of a lot of vehicles are messy, don't really want to mess with them unless you have to. Though I'd guess the OBDII shouldn't be too bad going into an OBDII Aspire, but ya never know till ya try.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Just because they are both obdII doesn't mean the harness pins and any of the wires are the same at all. You festiva guys are so spoiled with your swaps already. Another variable is some cars....if the cluster is not hooked up the car will not start LOL...So you have to get a protege cluster and make it look like home in your festiva dash area.
          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

A similar 1.5L was put in the Aussie's Festiva. Intake manifold is different that US's but I wouldn't be surprised if that's it.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

That's not a dohc

Here is my hero from overseas cardomain page. He's a member on here too
              Last edited by getnpsi; 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM.
              1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
              X