quick Q about overboring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick Q about overboring?

in the stock festiva engine is .30 overbore to big?
    looking for a ford festiva 1990 or up in central Pennsylvania, PM me, thanks

no, its fine. might be listed in mm when you buy pistons.

.25mm = .010"

so, .75mm = .030"

Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

actually the ones i have seen for sale say .30" . so if theat big is fine how big can you possibly bore the engine with the stock sleeves?

Comment

1. Festiva engines don't have sleeves. The cylinder liners are cast as part of the block, and not replaceable.

2. .030"/.75mm is the largest you can safely go. Any larger, and the liners become dangerously thin, and run the risk of cracking during use. I've heard of someone running .040" over, and hear tale of .060" over, but I would have the block x-rayed after boring, before I put it into service. If the liners show too thin after boring, you toss that block and start again.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

thanks, i was just wonder because i found a set of cast .30" pistons for 40.00 on Ebay

Comment

you can also look to the B6 for oversize limits as it's the same as the B3 save for a larger bore and the B6 can be overbored!!!!
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X