Need good guidance here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need good guidance here...

Have been around much since the silver bullet was down for over a year but she is alive again and on the road. I am itching more than ever to build her into something special. I have a friend that is a mechanic genius and he is letting me share part of his company garage to do this project build in. (I think out of the sheer opportunity to poke fun at me for wanting to build a Festiva.) He has almost everything needed to do motor work and frame mods ie the machinery to pull it all off.
    I am not a mechanic. Nuff said, but I have worked on cars in the past so I am not a mechanical moron.
    I am a designer and illustrator by trade and have some very nice mods I would like to also do to the looks of her.
    My question is this. Would any of you more seasoned Festy builders be interested in helping me work out a strategy for this build? I will try and keep questions on topic as to what thread I post in but I need help in planning initially. My finances are limited so I will have to have a plan to know what to keep my eye out for on purchases.
    In this thread I wanted to ask about options in building a true Festy motor that's aspirated and supercharged if at all possible. I really want to have a little blower on one. ; )
    I have always loved the old skool appeal of carbs. I also want to make this old skool looking with wide tires and fender flares, hugging the ground and cornering on a dime. What is your advice? Thanks in advance guys.

location?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Kc, mo.

Comment

it all depends on what you want do you want a street car? do you want a drag car? do you want a race car? gotta narrow down what youd like to do with the car.

Comment

I'd love to see a supercharger. B3, B6, BP, doesn't matter.

When I was around 20 years old working at Bonanza Steakhouse I saw a very dark blue Omni or Horizon with a sunroof sitting outside the restaurant one day and wanted one modded with a supercharged 2.2.

An S/C Festiva would really be nice to see!

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Several folks on the Miata site have s/c BPs. Don't know much about the numbers they put down but I see it in their sigs. I think most of them are running megasquirt or some other standalone.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

WOW, your skipping the whole "easy mod" stuff and going right for the big time! No problem with that, but it does make things more complicated. My only suggestion is to not try to do it all at once. Do it in stages so you can keep the car on the road as much as possible and don't end up with a pile of parts with no time, money or interest to finish.
              I suffer from that very curse.
              I would start with the mechnical first. No point in having a great looking car that you can't drive. Do the N/A engine swap first, then suspension, then the power-adder.
              I like the S/C idea too, but a "huffer" requires HP to run it, and that doesn't lend itself to small engines and low HP levels very well. A turbo is mostly free power and thus more popular. But, I understand and appreciate the desire to be different!
              I have a friend that put a centrifugal belt driven S/C on his MG. It was a kit he bought on-line. I think those motors were only 1.2L or 1.3L.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I think the best S/C would be made for small displacement engines. Some of the Kei cars from Japan have superchargers, and they're usually under 1 liter in size. Maybe those would not take as much power to turn and compress the air.

There was also the S/C for the older MR2. I think they were from the early to mid nineties and were fitted to a 1.6 DOHC, IIRC.

Karl
                Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-31-2011, 09:36 AM.
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. The "stages" approach is exactly what I would like to do but you gotta have a real plan in place to do that which also means you have to have the knowledge and exp to derive a plan. That part I'm short on.
                  Basic wants is this;
                  1. Aspire suspension swap.
                  2. truly cool ground effects that aren't exactly common. I would love to go wide body somehow with flared fenders. (Don't mind cutting away on the fenders to do it)
                  3. The best tranny-drivetrain config to handle more horsepower.
                  4. the best engine option with s/c and aspirated carbs. ( also best exhaust/muffler combo)
                  5. biggest wheel/ tire combo after fender mods possible.

Those are the big five, the rest can happen as I am permitted.
                  Thanks for any and all input on this project fellas.

Comment

Working...
                  X