Airbox mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbox mod?

Anybody have pics of this mod? I have no clue where the airbox is on the engine... [/noob]

I heard drilling a few dozen holes in it will help HP at the top end, and wanted to do it because its free and I am saving all my money for the moment to pay back 91mcnasty.

Thanks in advance.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

I did mine for giggles but I really couldn't tell that much of a difference

I'll try to get you a pic of it tomorrow.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

Over by the passenger side fender. The box that the intake tube attaches to. This is what you're going to modify. The top part is the Vane Airflow Meter. Under this is the filter. The box underneath that is what you put the holes in.

Attached to this box and going into the fender is a small duct. Toss that and "swiss cheese" the box.

You'll get a nice intake roar and an engine that runs a bit better at high RPM.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Yea it doesn't really help much, but I do like the whistling sound it gives off. Its located at the bottom left hand corner of the engine bay as if you are standing in front of the car looking at the motor. Just follow the air tube from the throttle body and it ends at the airbox.

Comment

It does make a neat noise

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Isn't it on the drivers side ;P
            Oh wait you drive on the wrong side.. xD
            Did the festiva ever come out with an airbox ?

Comment

Here's a pic of mine. Also notice the air inlet elbow that's usually on the left side if the box has been removed. You can drill more holes than this if you like or just cut the whole bottom out. It depends on how crazy you want to get with it.

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                I did mine for giggles but I really couldn't tell that much of a difference
                I bet your intake air temperature is different (and not in the right direction) Sounds like an easy way to make a stock "cold air" intake into a custom "hot air" intake (well, at least warm LOL) and still use the stock paper filter.
                Oscar

Comment

It's a bone stock Aspire motor so it's no biggy. The stock elbow doesn't really pull cool air from the fenderwell as it should anyway due to it's short length. So now I'm pulling from under the box instead of beside the box. Either way it's still pulling warm to hot air. For cooler air I would set it up where it actually pulls from inside the fenderwell via a tube through the hole in the radiator support (I think this is where they were headed with the factory design and fell short) or with tubing ran down into the fenderwell a la various Mustang style setups.

Basically I had the box out one day to clean it and change the filter and said WTH, lets to the mod and just see what happens. Well....after changing out the filter since the time I did the mod, there's a lot less dust inside the airbox. That's about the only improvement I can see. :laughing6:

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                    It's a bone stock Aspire motor so it's no biggy.
                    I agree. In any case, most cold air intakes are anything but cold And while they won't do much for performance, at least the sound is definitely an improvement!
                    Oscar

Comment

Oh ya, I agree. I get a laugh out of the kits that show the nice shiny chrome metal intake tubes that are soaking up more heat and transferring it faster than the plastic units they are used to replace. Some systems work, some don't. You just have to think about materials used, the environment they'll be used in, number and angles of various bends (these really screw with the transfer function on MAF cars), and where you're pulling the cold, or at least cooler, air from.

If I needed/wanted lots of cooler air stuffed into the NA B3, I would swap the location of the factory air inlet to the opposite side of the airbox and plumb the new inlet opening to a location directly behind the grill. On a non AC car with no condenser it would almost be a straight shot with little restriction other than the bend needed at the box. Although, in doing this you'll find out why I call that style a "bird catcher"

It's great for collecting leaves, bugs, and various other types of debris
                      Last edited by Zanzer; 07-13-2011, 12:14 AM.

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

When I did mine, I drilled holes in the fender side and the front of the lower airbox piece, not on the engine side. Hopefully this would help in not transferring as much heat from the engine. Of course you could insulate the intake tube and the engine side of the airbox with that aluminum stuff you use for insulating your house's hot water heater.

Whether it helps or not at higher RPMs depends on the design; it certainly can't hurt. On my 90 Subaru Loyale it helped hugely over 3500 RPM. That was a 1.8 liter motor with about the same size airbox intake hole as the Festy's!
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.

Good pile of low-budget airbox modification ideas for ya!
                          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

DJ it. Drop the bottom half all together and just zip tie the filter to the top half. Thats what I did on my BP eventually (though that was more to gain back underhood space than it was to gain CAI properties). On a B3 though unless you are constantly redlining I doubt it will be sucking enough air to outpace the stock box. With motor swaps though, getting extra air in can help.
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Well cause I have a lot of the cars on hand 2 play with I
                              Want 2 cut a hole n the fender and build a custom cold
                              Air ram. Has n e 1 try this??

Comment

Working...
                              X