Fms camshaft questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fms camshaft questions

I know most people go with engine swaps but I'm looking to make the most of the b3. My stage one plans consist of :
    Weber 3236 carb (already on car)
    I'll make my own 4-2-1 headers
    Most likely make a new intake manifold
    Get a spare b3 head and port it for use with the cam
    valve springs if I can find out which ones to get.

Does anyone have any experiences with Fms cams? Any suggestions, other than a motor swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the "street" cam in my B6. Head is ported/polished/decked. Stock 90-93 323 intake (ported, gasket matched) and long runner iron exhaust manifold. B8 throttle body. Definate reduction in idle quality (not terribly important to me, just stating). Comes on very strong above 3k RPM. Some reductiion in fuel economy, even driving conservatively. Still mid 30's mpg. Overall satisfied with it.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

oh, and unless you're planning on spending alot of time above 6500 RPM, I wouldn't worry about valve springs with the "street" cam. I'm sure the "race" cam is a different story.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I can accept poor idle and really would like more top end. The stock b3 falls on it's face at like 4500rpms. I'm just wondering how much of a fuel economy hit I'm going to take.

Comment

Thanks for the input on springs, I most likely will never even hit those rpms

Comment

cam is good (if you can get one anymore), a new intake should have longer/larger runners so that you can use the potential of the cam and be heated at the carb base. the springs issue i'm still working on... looking for a better alternative for the cut down GTi dual springs (i believe they are too heavy for our application, even at 9000 rpm), looking into behives from GM.

still, i'd get the cam. but realisticaly, if you want as much as you can get from the B3, you'll have to either port the crap out of it (not recomended) or port a B6 head. and clearance the block/pistons.

Jim beat me to it...

as for the RPMs, i'm running a B6 w/ B3carb intake/carb and B6 header (too big)... i hit a flat spot between 4500 and 6k and then it wakes up again through 7000 then runs out of breath (chokes out due to lack of air flow).
            Last edited by FestYboy; 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I spoke with FMS and regards his cams and he reccomended using roller rockers from aspire b3. Something about the cam lobe profile.
              these would probably improve your idle and give much better response. As well as a small gain in power.
              60% of the time it works, every time!

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                I can accept poor idle and really would like more top end. The stock b3 falls on it's face at like 4500rpms. I'm just wondering how much of a fuel economy hit I'm going to take.

hmmm... my B3s (all stock) would pull nearly up to redline, didn't run out of breath til over 5k... Check all your intake and ehaust components (don't forget a good filter!). It might be your stock cam is just plain worn out. Check intake vacuum at idle, should be around 18"-20" Hg. Any less and you have lift loss or compression loss. Compression test and cylinder leakage checks will tell that. As fuel econ hit, I wouldn't expect more than a 5mpg loss, with the same driving style.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by ELUSIVE View Post
                  I spoke with FMS and regards his cams and he reccomended using roller rockers from aspire b3. Something about the cam lobe profile.
                  these would probably improve your idle and give much better response. As well as a small gain in power.
                  ^ NO!i did that and the aspire rockers ate my cam.... bad BAD idea!
                  Last edited by FestYboy; 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by ELUSIVE View Post
                    Now see, the cam manufacturer (according to Roger @FMS) specified flat followers for these cams. When I measured mine (because Roger couldn't provide me with a cam card), I found the base circle to be too large for roller followers. Also, more importantly, the cam is made from gray iron, and is NOT roller compatible! Rollers cams are cast from steel, because iron will form a trench where the roller lives on the lobe.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

yeah, what Artie said!!!!
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Jim as i understood it, the apex of the lobe is what determined what follower to use (aside from the material used to make the cam), not the size of the base circle. could you please elaborate?

and i just had a brain something...! what if you were to chrome plate the lobes? i know chrome is VERY hard and resistant to wear if done properly.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I had been planning on using a aspire head with rollers, I guess I'll retain the festiva followers. Can anyone provide more info on the fiat followers?

My engine runs good and has decent vacuum. I think my cat may be clogging up and I do have exhaust leaks. I removed the airpump and plugged the lines, so I'm sure the cat is on it's way out.
                          I'm looking to build a set of headers and make a new exhaust soon. I'm not sure what size tubing I'm going to use for the exhaust but I'm thinking somewhere between 1.75-2".

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                            Thanks for the info, I had been planning on using a aspire head with rollers, I guess I'll retain the festiva followers. Can anyone provide more info on the fiat followers?

My engine runs good and has decent vacuum. I think my cat may be clogging up and I do have exhaust leaks. I removed the airpump and plugged the lines, so I'm sure the cat is on it's way out.
                            I'm looking to build a set of headers and make a new exhaust soon. I'm not sure what size tubing I'm going to use for the exhaust but I'm thinking somewhere between 1.75-2".
                            yeah, you killed the cat by removing the PAIR system. why did you do that?

use a 2" exhaust with small runners on the primaries.

what;s this about fiat followers?

Comment

I had to remove the pair, when my factory carb went bad. I got a weber 3236 for free so that's the carb that is on the car now. I don't need emissions components on my car and I'm trying to put the car on a serious diet so if I don't NEED it, it's gone.

Also the exhaust that I will be building will be mostly aluminum, I can get it at scrap prices and tig weld it.

Comment

Working...
                              X