B6 oil pump advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 oil pump advice

So...the B6 I bought for my swap last year ended up being pretty much worn out and only suitable as a rebuilder core. I need to check the oil pump out yet, but have a few questions. I figure if I have to rebuild it, may as well build it stout.

Will the oil pump off of a B6D, B6T or B8 fit an '89 SOHC B6? If so, would any of these be an upgrade over the stock pump (as in higher volume)?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Cross-check parts numbers at rockauto to see if they are the same.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

one of the moat important things guys overlook when re-placing the pickup tube, is making sure that gasket is done right. Get that wrong and it's sucks air right?
      Inch pounds torque wrenches ftw.
      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

The 89 b6 is a small nose crank, the b6t has different belt tensioner location, being a dohc, the b8 could work if the year is right, x2 on cross referencing rockauto part numbers for the b8
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Melling makes a high volume oil pump for the B but it's a little pricey. I think you'll find yours to be in good shape when you tear it down and measure everything. B's run great oil pressure and the pump is the first thing to see it so they aren't prone to wear. Even motors I've torn down that look like they've been rode hard and put up wet still have had great looking pump rotors and housings.

+1 on the pickup as well. The screens on them tend to hold a lot of crap too. A good soaking in SuperClean tends to clean them right up.
          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Toga also makes one. Make sure the casting number is right.
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Working...
            X