completed Aspire/Festiva suspension swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• completed Aspire/Festiva suspension swap

Just for curiousity sake I have included a picture of a completely stock Festy with an Aspire-swapped one, including front sway bar. There are VW alloys (same offset as Aspire) and 175/70-13 tires on the car. Monroe Aspire shocks and FMS Aspire sport springs are installed. I managed to raise the car an additional 1/2 inch from the lower spring height of the sport springs via rubber shims and/or stacked washers. Another site member has suggested that Festy and Aspire FMS sport springs are actually one and the same part. The ride is much stiffer and nothing rubs. Anyone hesitating to perform this modification should worry no more; the handling and brakes are worth the price of admission. However in hindsight I might better have used FMS HD Festy springs (which were out of stock).

Cool beans! Is that a photo shop or do you really have two identical festivas?

How where you able to get in contact with FMS to order the springs? It seems like many here have had trouble with that quest lately.

I am picking up the last few bits I need for my swap now. Was going to go with 323 front knuckles, rotors, and calipers, and aspire rears. Going to install everything with an automatic aspire front sway bar and new KYB GR2s, bushing, and control arms. Was going to run the FMS springs also but might have to go custom if they prove to be unavailable.

Comment

Those are 2 different cars for sure. Look at the roof!

Nice ones.
      1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
      Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
      daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
      A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

ROOF RACK FTW
        Owner of:
        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
        In progress:
        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Bert said:

"...VW alloys (same offset as Aspire)..."

Nope. Aspire wheels are either +40 or +45mm offset, while those VW alloys are +38mm offset. Look around on the VW wheels and you'll see "ET38" which means +38mm offset.

What this means front and rear track-wise is that not only are you running wheels that stick out another 1/2" on each side, but they also stick out another 7mm each side over that, for a total track increase of 25mm plus 14mm = 39mm, or a little over 1.5".

This does not include any differences in width between the mounting pads (on each hub) of the Festiva and the Aspire parts. I'm pretty sure the rear beam is slightly wider on the Aspire at the brake drum mounting pads (maybe a couple mms?).

If you doubt that, go look at your wheels from directly in front of your two cars. You'll see a distinct difference in track width you won't have to measure to note.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-10-2011, 01:35 PM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I only ever measured backset when I was looking to purchase different wheels and both Aspire and the VW were in the order of 4 1/2 inches. However; Safety Guy my wheels are stamped ET38. And you are quite correct about Festy/Aspire wheelbase; outside to outside at the back tires is 63 inches and only 59+ in at the front. Discovered that last week while doing my usual 'backyard' front end alignment.

As to the question of photoshopping car pictures in fact I have a 3rd virtually identical 93 Festy but it's an auto. Those stripes seem to have been a common Ontario version for the 92-93s.

I did not attempt to build a race or rally car and I suspect the FMS sport springs are going to be kidney shakers and first off they sat too low (for me). I have a second still new set because I had so much trouble trying to get a hold of Roger by phone back in April that when I did, and he was telling me about mostly out of stock inventoried springs, I jumped at the chance to clean him out of Sport Aspire (which I am told are the same as Sport Festy (by other than Roger)).
            My clutch cable of course came apart just as the car was being readied for a Thanksgiving run to s. Ontario and no one in Canada stocks those anymore. Rock Auto is sending me one but Friday afternoon did notice a manual 01 Kia Rio at the local JY that seemed to have a similar or hopefully identical cable and sheath. I may just go back there Tuesday for a proper looksee with tools.

Comment

AV8TER: here's the mostly identical rolling stock as of last winter and pre-Aspire swap.

Comment

There's a good chance the Rio clutch cable will work. I think Aspire clutch cables will work too, plus they're two piece cables instead of one.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Safety Guy: Aspire clutch cable has the same part number as Festy at numerous locations (Canadian Tire, NAPA, PartSource) but availability in that regard was similarly "nil" country-wide. It is unusual for a car to survive more than 10 winters up here (this includes Toronto and Montreal) unless it has been thoroughly and annually oil-sprayed. And even then 20 year old vehicles become rather tired underneath. I count my lucky stars that all three of mine are approaching 300K (180,000 mi) with their original engines. As well I never fail to oil or grease each and every nut and bolt that comes out and goes back in.

Comment

Bert, may I purchase the second set of FMS springs from you? I have paypal waiting eagerly.

Comment

I wouldn't mind knowing what my options are for getting HD or similar to stock Festy springs in advance of relinquishing the sole remaining set of new springs, of any kind, that I have. Junkyards up here are full of Festys (or at least were, until they got pounded into soup cans during the past 5 years) simply because replacement springs could not be had, new or used by ordinary folks.
                      Keep in touch; it's unlikely those specific un-used springs will ever be installed now that I have already put one full set on a car and physically experienced the result.

Comment

Working...
                      X