X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, $425 total?+ shipping?
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

haha...a little pricey for your liking? I was sort of expecting somewhere close to that. But, say, this, on a Kia tranny, with an MFactory LSD? Should be able to take some serious power. I don't see a Toyota box being any better an option.

Comment

We're talking just the flat plate, right? Not the one that has the bearings cups in it?

If so, actual alignment of the case/plate probably isn't critical enough to necessitate dowel pins. It would have to have a fairly precise amount of material removed and then be drilled/tapped for the mounting bolts fairly accurately, but I'd say the average person could center punch and hand drill/tap those holes, as long as the case was machined down to size. Naturally getting it all done at one step would be the best way to go, but the cost of shipping things back and forth really adds up on the price.

Is he willing to send out the CAD file? I think I could make it happen for a bit less than he quoted (maybe $200-250 for the plate, another 50 for the case) but thats mostly because I'm not going to try to make the kind of money off these things a shop would want to make. His price sounds about right for paying a shop to do it on shop time. If he won't come off the cad file that just means it'll be longer before I can potentially make anything happen, if there is interest from others... I'm deff hoping to do it for my own trany, at least.
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
          We're talking just the flat plate, right? Not the one that has the bearings cups in it?

If so, actual alignment of the case/plate probably isn't critical enough to necessitate dowel pins. It would have to have a fairly precise amount of material removed and then be drilled/tapped for the mounting bolts fairly accurately, but I'd say the average person could center punch and hand drill/tap those holes, as long as the case was machined down to size. Naturally getting it all done at one step would be the best way to go, but the cost of shipping things back and forth really adds up on the price.

Is he willing to send out the CAD file? I think I could make it happen for a bit less than he quoted (maybe $200-250 for the plate, another 50 for the case) but thats mostly because I'm not going to try to make the kind of money off these things a shop would want to make. His price sounds about right for paying a shop to do it on shop time. If he won't come off the cad file that just means it'll be longer before I can potentially make anything happen, if there is interest from others... I'm deff hoping to do it for my own trany, at least.
          The plate does have new bearing cups, yes.

Rocketchips!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it's the one in your link, Nate.

Judging by his response, I don't think he wants to give out his CAD file. He's in Georgia, so shipping would be a lot harder on me than on you guys.

I wonder though, maybe using a tranny cooler would go some ways as it's a result of the aluminium expansion from heat that causes the spun bearings.

Comment

Wow that's allot cheaper than I'd thought it'd be. I'm interested in getting one of you want to try to get a group purchase going.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Yes, I'd like to get a group buy going. Right now, he's working on getting his files recovered from a computer crash. When he is ready to make some of these, and when I've got the funds, I'll start up a group buy for these. Should be within a couple months.

Comment

has any one on here actually had their case crack? this is news to me... broken alot of tranies but never the case around the bearing races and i run my car pretty hard daily...
                  I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                    has any one on here actually had their case crack? this is news to me... broken alot of tranies but never the case around the bearing races and i run my car pretty hard daily...
                    You're still running the stock diff though, it's like a safety fuse, lol

Rocketchips!

Comment

It seems like a chain of weakest links... first the diff, then the case around the drivers side bearings, then the case on the bell housing side bearings. I don't know if anyone has gotten past that point... gears stripping perhaps?
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

^^ That's what I hear. I'm going to follow what the guy with the Protege did. LSD, plate mod, Kia box, and heat treated, shot peened, polished gears. He was running that hard on the track with 320 ft-lb of torque to the wheels, so I figure in a Festiva that won't see much track time, will have stiff mounts, and serious suspension improvements I'll be pretty safe.

Nate, what would you think about these:

These are PAR Engineering's billet reinforcement cups. Seems they'd be an easier, cheaper option if you were to machine something up. Do you think they'd hold up well?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                          It seems like a chain of weakest links... first the diff, then the case around the drivers side bearings, then the case on the bell housing side bearings. I don't know if anyone has gotten past that point... gears stripping perhaps?
                          No, the bearings don't go, on either side. Over time due to the different expansions rates of the metals, the bearing races start to spin in the cup, and will wear away at the case a bit. This causes the shafts to lose preload, and cause a bit of play in addition to the shaft flex issue already present (the shafts are pretty thin all things considered) as well as case flex... This can exacerbate the stripped 3rd issue due to too much torque

The bell housing bearing cup will punch through given enough power, the Kia seems to have more reinforcement there, but how much that will help, I don't know.

I'd suggest having a look over on the probetalk boards, see what those guys are doing nowadays. The turbo KL guys are maxing these transmissions with even basic turbo builds, I know they had an external metal plate on the diff once, called the "tranny saver" mod, but if that will work on a 4-cyl Gseries I don't know. These were the guys making enough power to start stripping thirds, as well as the 323 GTX guys

Red, that looks like a viable alternative to the plate mod, what's the price on a set?

Rocketchips!

Comment

^^ $650...lol...

Interesting about the external metal plate, I've been thinking that there might be something to be had there. I do think that my plans will just about hold the power, but I'll have to check that out.

Comment

Looks like it helps brace the diff housing. It also looks like the diff housing lacks reinforcement in that area on the V6 trans

Threads: http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701181669

Rocketchips!

Comment

^^ Interesting. It looks like they're designed to reduce case flex. They're very thick. Not to cool though, that they don't fit in turbo application, unless I suppose you find/fabricate an exhaust manifold that leaves room for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X