Valve tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve tool

I need help with my B6D. I need a tool for the valve springs I can get them out with a socket but I need a tool to put them back in, any suggestions? Ive been to all the auto parts stores around here and no one has anything for this, Im about to take it to the machine shop but that defeats the purpose of being able to say I rebuilt it myself. Can I use a socket with a C-clamp? If so how do I cut up the socket?
    I tried doing a search but I didnt find anything, it was probably just me.

You need one of those huge C-clamps that are for that purpose. The foot allows access to the stem. I used to have one but I can't find it.

Comment

Tommy, the internet is your friend:

511 W. Cherokee
      Wagoner OK 74467
      918-485-8520

'93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Tommy, the internet is your friend:

511 W. Cherokee
        Wagoner OK 74467
        918-485-8520

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
        It's tough with the B6D because of the HLA buckets are right above the valve retainers, making it really tough to get in there. I have not found a conventional style valvepsring compressor that's worked with the B6D, not that they don't exist but I haven't found one yet. I've done this in the past:

As well as this, this worked better:

Ford has a SST that bolts in place of the cam caps & uses a wrench & pivot bar to push down on the retainers... maybe I better design something similar & start producing them

Edit:

Here's the FORD SST from the FSM:
        Last edited by Rocketman; 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM.
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Idk what tool from autozone I need after looking at all those
          rocketman what do you have going on with those boards? Im guessing there is a socket or something under the valve and your laying on the board to compress the spring?

Comment

don't think I had anything more than a rag under the head

The upper 2x4 had a hinge, and acted as a lever to push down on the molding which pushed the keepers down. the valve stays put for the most part

Rocketchips!

Comment

what keeps the valve from dropping while you are compressing the spring?
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

compressing the spring only pushes on the keeper & spring, not the valve itself. It can move down a little bit I guess, I didn't have any issues with it. The new valvestem seals probably helped

Rocketchips!

Comment

The bp head is the same set up and is just as complicated . I just completed a valve seal job on a bp ,I filled the cylinder with rope and used a large pair of flat nose pliers with a prybar stuck between the handles . Then pryed off of anything in reach ,worked out well just very time consuming getting those clips back in . Good luck .
                  New build on the way .

Comment

I use a motorcycle valve spring compressor that I got off ebay for less than 30 bucks. It works great and came with different size cups for different size spring retainers. Here is one like what I have.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-25-2011, 12:22 AM.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

awesome,
                      any pics of this ebay tool .
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                        awesome,
                        any pics of this ebay tool .
                        Click on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-M...item231192ff80
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

For cyl head off seal replacements only correct ? Have you found anyway to do them with the head still on . Thanks for that info thou .
                          New build on the way .

Comment

Oh, sorry, didn't read the whole post. For me, it's just easier to pull the head off and freshen everything up for piece of mind.

Comment

original post is with the head off . I was thread jacking my fault .
                              New build on the way .

Comment

Working...
                              X