Sourcing a Kia G-series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing a Kia G-series

I believe it is the 95-98 Kia Sephia, and none other which sports the G-series box with the strengthened case. It seems to me as though this car wasn't in Canada these years. If someone were to point this out as wrong, I'd be very happy. Otherwise, are they an easy find for you guys south of the border? I'm not sure I've seen anyone here using one of these trannies, besides Hot_Wheels.

I thought u needed 94-97 Sephia's G Series..
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

yeah this is where i get messed up too. the shadetree thread says a 01-02 kia rio has axles that go into the G series, with the outer spline is a festiva spline, so that assembly works into a g series without the xr2 shaft....now the trans that is actually in a 01-02 rio i do not know if that itself is a g series or is something that is just the same spline counts...
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

How would I be able to tell if the 00-02 rio transmission is a gseries or not if I'm looking at it? I believe there's one in the trunk of a kia in the jy..
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

00-02 Rios if they have a manual are g series' I believe, 02 had a better highway final drive
          Owner of:
          1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
          In progress:
          BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

It's a 02 for sure, I'll look at it again next time I head over there and see if it's worth salvaging, someone pulled the engine and tranny and left the top half of the engine and the tranny..? i figure it was the jy guys cause the axels had been cut with a torch.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

That'd really open up my ability to snag one of these if they put them in the Rios. Looks like they came with a B6, but they pretty much all were mated to the F-series.

Edit: Found some info: "You need to pay attention to the casting numbers on the housing. K-2 and K24T must be on there".
              Pulling the BP-ZE for a GTX or GTR? Installing a G series transmission in a stock F series car? Looking to replace the LSD in your MSP? need wiring help on the swap? this is the place.

It seems to be only in the 95-97 Sephias:
              Pulling the BP-ZE for a GTX or GTR? Installing a G series transmission in a stock F series car? Looking to replace the LSD in your MSP? need wiring help on the swap? this is the place.
              Last edited by thered56; 11-19-2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

i think the stronger kia/ k-2 trans was also use in the later BH bp proteges? search on clubprotege.com i think it might be on there what year bh.

Comment

There's 2 02 Rio's in the yard by me, so they need to have the castings numbers as described above correct ?
                  -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                    i think the stronger kia/ k-2 trans was also use in the later BH bp proteges? search on clubprotege.com i think it might be on there what year bh.
                    95 was the only BH/BHA protege to get a G-series, even with a BP the later ones got F-series transmissions.
                    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Working...
                    X