B-Engine Compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-Engine Compatibility?

I'm really curious on this... How closely related are B-Engine B1, B3, B5, BJ and B6? Would the heads bolt on to one another, do they use the same engine mounts, and what about the cylinder walls, do they have the same thickness on the block cause they had the same block mold and Mazda just bores each to spec? I don't know why, but it seems that the B1 and B5 have the same stroke and the BJ and B6 looks almost the same, they even have the same bore, and the B3 also looks like a B6 engine on the block. Does anyone have some info on which are really the same and would be bolted on to one another?

Thanks...
    '98 Kia Pride CD-5 B1 5MT (Daily Driver in Philippines)
    '97 Honda Civic EK 5MT D15 VTEC $50 coilovers (Deceased, previous DD)
    '03 Corolla S 4AT Megan Coilovers 17" tC's. (Daily Driver in Las Vegas)

I had the most fun in the Kia

See " SEARCH " button ^^^^ in the Header!!! Where's Monsoon when ya need him???
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

I'm not doing an engine swap though. I'm looking forward to interchanging engine parts from them and make a sorta hybridized B-Engine. I know they all fit in the transmission, but I haven't found any thread about interchanging them. Most just do a full-swap.

Comment

You'd be way better off doing a full swap instead of trying to mix match engine parts

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

No one does much with the B1 or BJ since we didn't get them in the states. The B3 and B6 share common external components but the B6 has a larger bore. The B3 block can not be bored out to a B6. From what I'm told, the rod journals, rod length and piston compression height also differ. The B6 head has larger ports, valves and chambers and is not feasible to install on a B3 due to the small bore. Although it is possible to mix-n-match components with a little machine work, there's nothing to really gain...I've barked up that tree already.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I can't do engine swaps without getting red-tapes from the country I'm on. I live in the Philippines and there's a whole bunch of legal stuff to be worked with to have it drive legally. Also, it's a nightmare for me to find a B6 engine. One must find a friend who owns a Mazda 323, and pray that it gets totaled with the B6 engine intact. So my plan is to get a DOHC head and a BJ crank do heavy engine work instead and have fun with it, it's cheaper to do that here anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by forpinks View Post
              I can't do engine swaps without getting red-tapes from the country I'm on. I live in the Philippines and there's a whole bunch of legal stuff to be worked with to have it drive legally. Also, it's a nightmare for me to find a B6 engine. One must find a friend who owns a Mazda 323, and pray that it gets totaled with the B6 engine intact. So my plan is to get a DOHC head and a BJ crank do heavy engine work instead and have fun with it, it's cheaper to do that here anyway.
              B6 with a B3 head, then? Sounds sneaky enough, and doable.
              1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
              Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
              daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
              A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

how do they keep track of what engine you have in your car? Do they check engine numbers? That's easy to fix (number and letter stamps are cheap) do they have expert inspectors? A b6 can be made to look identical to a b3 even to the point where an enthusiast couldn't tell it was swapped. Do you have salvage yards in the Philippines? Do you have access to Japanese engines like the ones they ship here?(USA) I'm very interested in what it's like over there and I like the challenge of making things look stock.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                X