'89 Mazda 323 4 speed OD non-electronic trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 Mazda 323 4 speed OD non-electronic trans

At some point there will be a garage thread on this when I get to the actual install, but for now, its a thread ABOUT what we know about this trans and what I'm learning about it firsthand. There have been threads about this before, but now I'm starting this one because I actually OWN one now.

Things I've noticed about mine today.

1. It is BIG. But I did some light measuring in the yard between it and a festiva, and I think it will be able to fit, very snuggly.

2. It is not vacuum modulated like the Festiva. But the only wires coming and going are for the kickdown solenoid, park/neutral safety switch, reverse switch, and the overdrive lockout solenoid. So its NOT electronic. There is a "throttle cable" that looks kind of like a kickdown cable on the old chevys.

3. The front and rear mounts look identical to the festiva.

4. I think the brake MC will have to come out to drop the engine/trans combo in. No chance of installing them seperately.

So fire away, anything else anyone KNOWs about this trans? Gear ratios I'd love to see! But any actual info or sources for info (not speculations!) I wanna know!
    No festiva for me ATM...

i have the factory manual for that trans... any info you want, i have.

now, can you find me another 2 units?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Scan manual for Htchbck, or I can when your down here!
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^ no scanner here... i'll have to remember the manual when i come down.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

is that the same 4speed auto that came in the capri?
          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

^ no, it was only available from the 323 sedan and hatch from 88-89

Comment

tks & big thumbs up for help getting the tankstiva going!
              Last edited by kumalaba; 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM.
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                ^ no scanner here... i'll have to remember the manual when i come down.
                Will due.
                How many pages, approximately?
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

ummm well..... the section on the trans is arround 30ish? the entire manual is several hundred. i also have several other manuals that should be of interest that can be brought along.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    i have the factory manual for that trans... any info you want, i have.
                    Why am I not surprised lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

what's that supposed to mean!?! :p

Comment

So, my two main questions now about it are: is it hydraulically controlled? and is that cable a kickdown cable, or is it what the trans uses instead of vacuum?

FestYboy many thanks on the manual, should be of much use. If I find another one it will be mine also, since I have been told by my wife that I am REQUIRED to keep at least two of our festies automatic, but the next one I get after that is all yours Just lucked up on this one at my favorite pull a part yard. Actually Kev (AV8TER on here) told me about it few weeks ago, but he and I were mainly thinking about the motor and not the trans, since neither of us had even noticed it was an OD at the time. Only 158K on the unit, and wrecked a little on the drivers side, not bad, but bad enough that insurance would have totalled it, which I'm guessing is what happened. So he took the hood latch cable off and hid it up under the dash for me so noone would go snooping under the hood. I went down once, but was in the wrong car (MX6) for picking up a whole motor and trans, so I had to leave it. Went back for it yesterday and to my amazement the only things missing from it were the water neck (will be using the festy one anyway), the dizzy (I have spares) and the PCV (would be getting replaced anyway). So I pulled them and stuffed them in the back of green car. So it would be a G4A-HL, right Arty? As opposed to the G4A-EL that was in the later cars?
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Is that a big removable cover on the front?

I guess the most obvious thing is the cable.

Also shouldn't one of the switches be a lockup solenoid?
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

yes g4a-HL

Comment

So if this can be installed and fit, then the later (90+ 323 G4H-EL) trans should go in there as well? Depending on how much of the electronics are external and how much are internal, couldn't there be a potential for direct wiring (by someone with a better knowledge than I of electronics) some switches and having a "sport shift" AOD festiva? It would be a lot of wiring and schematic work, but that would be totally sick! Or would be case be different for the G4H-EL? This trans with rough measurements should fit in a festiva, but I've heard numerous times that the 90+ trans is waaay too big.
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                              X