No announcement yet.

Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was playing around with parts today and realized the knuckles from MK2 VW's are nearly identical to those on the Festiva... Pretty good shot that MK1/2 knuckles, and MK1 (slightly shorter) axles would allow you to bolt in a VW IDI diesel (about 50HP, except TD's and ECO, 90HP and ~70HP respectively) using the stock transmission (Good luck trying to adapt the linkage system, just get a cable shifter).

It would give you 4x100 front hubs, GTi brakes are a "quick upgrade" and cost the same (nearly) as new "regular" brakes (even though the original VW brakes were solid rotors and designed to stop a much heavier car than the festiva to begin with).

Yano, if that's something you were interested in. I certainly am, since I have 4 VW engines and 3 transmissions.

Comment

Interesting.

I am seeing a few VW DI engines pop up on CL lately. I know the DI engines are better for mileage so I might have to try one of these.
      Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

vw diesel is the way to go...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Looking that way. Hope these ideas dont die. I've never ben around vw...the people who swap more modern tdi into the 80s vw... is that straightfoeard enough to make those plausible into a mazda?
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Yep, the difference is that MK4 and higher have different driveline setups, and possibly different inboard axles. However, the 1.9TDI (AHU and A??) and a couple other engines bolt to the MK1/2/3 non-TDi transmissions (like the 3 I have), making the swap basically a matter of ECM, wiring, and one engine mount (after you've got the trans/axles/etc in.)

These ideas won't die with me, I'm VERY interested in doing this, so much so that I may completely forgo the BP swap in favor of it, because even the 1.5L rabbit with 11mm head bolts can make 130HP reliably with some work, and then it's basically 2x the torque of the 1.8 BP, and turbo is still an option, although one must take care not to boost too much, because high dynamic compression on 11mm head bolts is known to lift the heads/crack the block where one of the head bolt locations' threads runs thin into the "meat" of the block casting.

Comment

Also, with basic (DIY stuff, using only a couple hand tools and a line-up pin) work, the IDI's can rev to 7-8K all day reliably. Later in life, should one decide to downgrade to a gas engine, the top end is all that's necessary to turn a diesel into a nice pumper. The diesel blocks and lower end are basically a high-performance version of the identical gas parts.

Comment

Where were you when i was asking and throwing around these ideas 5 years ago the first time i had access to a bunch of engines that were not straight cookie cutter swaps? All this stuff was usually tossed into troll/noob/do a search dismissals.
                1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

It continues to be, until someone actually does the work to make it work, and then usually only if it's a "pop swap". Nobody gave much attention to the guy that put a VW engine in his Saturn, except a few eco guys and most of the one Saturn forum. VW Vortex dogged it hardcore, because most VW guys are purists (in my experience).

I collected my VW engines by chance. I have access to like 4 more VW chassis, including diesel engines and transmissions and assorted parts, if I can ever find the means to jump on them. I can probably get them all for junk price, which leaves a hell of a profit margin for me.

Comment

Well too bad you are on the other coast is all I'm gonna say about that. Since my curent job has zero to do with wrenching or measuring or machining i have a huge disadvantage to those of you who just casually make something innovative just because you "were bored, on the clock, and were gonna throw out this scrap anyway" situations. call it a jealous admiration, in every positive way short of being up the arse.
                    Last edited by getnpsi; 04-28-2012, 01:46 AM.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

I have access to machine and welding equipment...time is the issue...lol
                      1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                      1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                      1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                      1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                      1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                      1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                      1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

this one should have just enough power and good power to weight
                        Running in Pottsville Oregon. Hard to tell from a video but this thing shakes the Ground when it runs.Quit whining about pollution. It only runs for a few m...

Comment

Put it on a trailer, mount a rear diff backwards, put a multi-pinion driveshaft from the motor to the car, and you're golden. !

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
                            I have access to machine and welding equipment...time is the issue...lol
                            same here.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                            X