trans case swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans case swap?

Now this maybe be a stupid question but i was wondering if anyone has tried to use the front tranny case off the stock festiva tranny and bolt it to the rear half of a GR tranny? This would be great cause then you wouldnt have to use custom mounts. I know the GR tranny is longer but wasnt sure if that may only be on the back part, Damn I wish I had my GR tranny still so i could compare

Won't work, period

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Isn't going without the crossmember lighter? The stock mounts absorb the torque
      of the engine, they are a little iffy with the B3. Back to question look up the bearing part numbers and see if they are the same. Hopefully some one who tried it will answer.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Hmmmm just looked it up they have the same output shaft bearing. I think that's the one on the front case that I'm talking about swapping, and different input shaft bearing. Hmmmm.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of work, even if you got lucky and found parts to fit without machining and shimming. With other members making the kia "discovery" there should be some G series in your area for good price, even if you have to use unequal length axles.
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Lol a lot of work? It's pretty simple pulling the front tranny case off. Nothing hard about it. Unbolt and bolt. But what is this Kia rio tranny discovery you talk about? Haven't herd of it?

Comment

I misread what you mean. I'm comparing it to guys who cant find a strong enough transmission when they stick fwd engines into a tubular rwd race car and so on.

shadetree is his name, can't find mid shafts so he made it work anyway is his game.

i missed this one the first time around this is pretty killer..

Traction .. well it will surprise you really . Traction is great . I set my car up with large iac pipe and a large srt4 intercooler to slow spool time and wheel spin/hop down ,so unless I really get on it I don't even see boost until half way through second gear which is perfect for a dd . If I ever drag this car I will start in second gear and see how it does . Although mounting this trans is a piece of cake ,I dropped the crossmember one inch on all four corners used a hammer and beat the hump flat on the back of the crossmember and drilled four holes .. that's it ... This put me in the FACTORY position I'm using the fms front mount . And all the factory Rio trans mounts ..
              Last edited by getnpsi; 12-28-2011, 02:31 PM.
              1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

#1 whats a "GR tranny" and #2 how do you expect half of an E series to bolt to half of a G series? Theyre completely different designs.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^^exactly

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by mr2gq View Post
                    Lol a lot of work? It's pretty simple pulling the front tranny case off. Nothing hard about it. Unbolt and bolt. But what is this Kia rio tranny discovery you talk about? Haven't herd of it?
                    Lol, like Damkid said, the cases are NOT interchangable between the Gtype and F-types.

The Kia uses a G-series transmission, apparently that's a "discovery"
                    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

cool thanks! I can handle that. And for the tranny so what if they are dif. They are very similar and you never know if you dont look. Sure the G is longer but the casings look the same. And like I said I looked it up and they use the same output shaft bearing. So they just might have the same bolt pattern for the front half of the case. Thats like saying " oh those cars use completely different transmissions. Theres no way a BP is going to bolt to a stock festiva tranny" WTF lol unless someones actually looked and confirmed why say it wont when all you would be doing is talking out your ass if you havent even looked to see?
                      Last edited by mr2gq; 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Well if you wanna be so persistent about something thats pretty much common sense, get one of each trans and try it yourself.

We *KNOW* it wont work, you dont seem to want to accept that answer, so try to prove us wrong.

Or just get some angle iron and make your G series mounts like all of us did.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

The only thing im persistent about is getting a actual answer. Not someone saying" i know cause they are 2 dif trannys" or because " its comment sense " or anything else. I want someone to say" yes ive inspected the 2 and they are way different". Its not that I dont want to take someones answer when they say it wont work but if they are speculating then they really don't know. Im sure someone told the person who swapped a festiva 5th gear into a G series tranny it wont work cause they are 2 tottaly different trannys lol. Im not trying to piss anyone off im just asking does anyone REALLY know. Someone please say yes and ill leave it be lol

Comment

"yes ive inspected the 2 and they are way different"

Edit: also, I don't think anyone's taken a Festiva 5th gear and put it in a G-Series transmission.
                            Last edited by Rocketman; 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM.
                            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I'd rather attempt the second gear and flip it backwards for some corvette cruising rpm's as ive linked iceracerdude (A ff.com resident tranny guru) to before.

http://sites.google.com/site/diyoverdrive/ that's yummy but the one to two year lifespan doesn't fly with a guy who can put on ~50k a year if it's the only vehicle in use.

And to redifine 'discovery' for ff.com members I consider it something that is readily available and needs near to nothing but it's purchase to be working in the festiva. If everything on this car was about making your own parts we should just restore ww2 planes.
                              1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X