B6 head gasket interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 head gasket interchangability

Does anyone know for certain if the head gasket for a 90+ B6D will work on a first gen ('89 & earlier) B6 SOHC 8V?

They look like they would based on catalog pictures, but I hate to guess.
    I'm considering a MLS gasket from Cometic in order to get the .040" thickness and boost my compression.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

i think i remember Gauge-half-inch having pix of the differances between the 2 generations. let's see if he pops up with them
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yep. The b6d cometic works just fine with the b6. the older 89 and previous is a direct install, 90+ you have to plug the extra oil drain holes in the head and block. I'm running one right now. Bought mine for a 92 Miata. My photo bucket isn't liking my Android anymore, I've posted them in the past, just search, there on here.
      Last edited by gauge_half_inch; 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM.
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

According to Rock Auto, the Fel-Pro head gasket part #9691PT for a 91 - 94 Capri B6D also fits the 88 - 89 323 B6, and the 90 - 93 Miata B6D.

When I look at the 323 catalog, the Fel-Pro gasket #9461PT fits the 86 - 89 323 and the 87 - 89 Tracer.

I've compared Rock Auto's pics of them side by side, and the 9691PT has more coolant passage holes (I think that's what they are) than the other one.

Edit: I guess according to gauge those exta holes are oil drain holes, not coolant passage holes.
        Edit 2: the Fel-Pro part # for gen 2 323 (1990+) head gaskets is 9696B, and it also fits the 1994 Kia Sephia.
        Last edited by TominMO; 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The early kias are the same the 90 b6 completely. My Vaf is actually off one. They have the b61k ecu also.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

^^ oh that's a nice to know. I saw a blue old kia at the jy but didnt even look at any of it.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I've been corresponding with Cometic this afternoon. According to them, the surface finish needs to be a 50ra (mirror finish) or better and the head/block can not be out more than .002". I should be fine, since my block is only ~.0015" out and the head is getting milled again.....I found a shop than can achieve that level of finish and is only charging me $38 for the machine work.

This little info was interesting to me. Many years ago, I put a re-built head on the 16V SOHC B8 in my '95 Protege. I bought a new Felpro head gasket from A-zone and it was a MLS design. I was not familiar with them at the time, and treated it like any other head gasket change. After about 15K miles the head gasket developed a slight leak. I dumped in some Stop-leak, re-torqued the head and ended up selling the car soon after. I wonder if the head gasket issue was a result of the 150K mile block not being flat & clean enough or the head not having the proper finish. Hmmm...............
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

it WILL work, i have bought 6 sets of miata gaskets and have been using them on my festiva stuff.

Comment

^^^^ 6 gaskets on 6 different motors, or the same motor? LOL (joke)

Did you adhear to the recommended surface finsh specifications?
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                    ^^^^ 6 gaskets on 6 different motors, or the same motor? LOL (joke)

Did you adhear to the recommended surface finsh specifications?
                    umm yes

i didnt im a liar.... no issues as of yet. I know i know how bad that is and how big of a hacker that makes me, but ive put lots of race miles/street miles and no issues yet

Comment

Working...
                    X