the quest for more power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the quest for more power.

well here it goes. starting my thread on the fms cam swap in my 97 aspire.
    here are the festiva rockers i got today at pick-n-pull. how do they look? anything missing from them?

p.s. the little white specks are from dirt or sand that was on the floor mat i carried them on. didnt have any rubber gloves or hand wash

here are the rockers and cam. storing them in the drawer of my toolbox till i get the free time to tackle this swap.

sorry about the picture size, its the default size on my phone

let me know how everything goes with the install and how much of a difference it makes!!

Comment

i will keep all updated, and i will try and have as many detailed pics during the instal as possible

Comment

you should be able to lift the passenger side of the engine for cam install (depending on the # of pullies on the crank) if you go that route, it'd proly be easiest to remove the crank pullies first. the other option is remove the dizzy, but i never liked that idea.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The shop manual says to remove the timing belt, the timing pully on the cam, and the dizzy, then pull the cam out of the dizzy hole. I already have the correct position on the dizzy and head marked from when i was messing with the timing a while back

Comment

I may even go a step farther and remove the hood so I will have more room to work

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              the other option is remove the dizzy, but i never liked that idea.
              Thats how I've always done it with the engine in vehicle. If its on a stand though I usually bring it out through the timing side.

Originally posted by lil red rocket
              I may even go a step farther and remove the hood so I will have more room to work
              Not really necessary at all unless you just really want to take the hood off. I pull complete engines out of aspires and festivas with the hood still on, just have to hook the chains on the crane so the boom is close to the motor and keep and eye on the top. Never had the hood get in my way.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck
                Not really necessary at all unless you just really want to take the hood off. I pull complete engines out of aspires and festivas with the hood still on, just have to hook the chains on the crane so the boom is close to the motor and keep and eye on the top. Never had the hood get in my way.
                Agreed!! Even when I did the KJ swap in the P5 I left the hood on, and the KJ is quite a bit bigger then a KL

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

ok guys, i have run into a problem. i got the cam and rockers all installed, i go to put the disty on and it wont fully engage into the cam. do i need a different disy than my stock 97 one?

Comment

I believe that's a pretty common issue with the FMS cams. IIRC, most guys just open up the groove in the cam with a file or something. Just hold tight and someone who's been there will tell you how to do it. Probably need to take the cam out though.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Ok, I will wait for more input, too late to do any more tonight

Comment

Its not a major problem. I believe FB71 said he had to do some work to the groove on his FMS cam when he installed it. I could tell you how I would do it, but it would be best to hear from someone who's already done it.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Your pic size is perfect !
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Did you get it figured out?
                            Brian

Comment

Not yet, put old cam back in but now is way out of time, gotta take it all back apart to put it back in time

Comment

Working...
                              X