Shorter clutch pedal travel mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter clutch pedal travel mod w/ pics

Stock Festiva clutch pedal travel is looooong and since its a clutch cable with no adjustable master cylinder rod there's not much you can do about it... except THIS!

This is really simple - a 1" piece of steel square tube cut to about 1" length with holes drilled through. Remove the rubber bumper from the original clutch pedal stop, enlarge the hole a bit and install with a flat head screw of some sort.

I figured the size of the block based on how far I needed to push the clutch in to allow 1st gear to engage while idleing. It was about 2" between the factory tab and the clutch pedal arm before I could put it in 1st. I figured 1.25" to be safe so 1" steel tube plus a few washers and the depth of the screw head.

I can definitely report MUCH faster shifting. I used to lose a lot of RPMs between shifts but I don't anymore. I do have an annoying click every time the arm hits the block. Need to put on some rubber.

oh yeah, you have to jump the red and blue cables as shown in the upper left of the bottom pic otherwise you wont be able to start the car. Anyone know why there are 2 sensors? one for clutch in and one for out. ???

Comment

So basically you can't push it as far? I normally don't press mine in fully anyways.. a force of habit I guess.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Thats correct. You can depress it halfway but then you have to think about it and you risk not going far enough. This way you just push until it stops and you know you'll get it right every time.

Comment

Working...
        X