2002 Kia Rio Transmission Internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Kia Rio Transmission Internals

So, after alot of debate and headaches, I have an early 2002 Kia Rio transmission, I have it on my kitchen table, and I have it apart. Can someone help me determine wether it's a remake of an E, F, or G series transmission, and if there are ANY aftermarket LSD's that will bolt to the ring gear?

I'll post a how-to along with this so you know what's been done.

Tools Needed:
    10, 12, 14mm sockets
    1 1/4" socket
    3/8" ratchet & extention
    Electric impact wrench
    Prybar -or- rubber mallet
    flathead screwdriver (punch is nice too)
    Hammer
    Marker
    Egg Crate for storing pieces

The transmission..

Step One:
    Remove the 5th Gear Cover by removing the 8 10mm bolts..

Step Two:
    Remove both 1 1/4" nuts holding the 5th gear gears in place, and drive the pin from the shaft.

Step Three:
    Remove 4 bolts from the housing, 1-12mm bolt 3-14mm bolts. The 14mm bolts all have springs and detent balls behind them, remove those with a magnet, don't mix them up.
    This pic is of the 12mm bolt, right below the clutch linkage bracket. The other 3 are on the opposite side clustered together.

Step Four:
    Remove the 14 Cover bolts & remove cover. 11-12mm, 3-14mm

Step Five:
    Remove Cover

I already went thru the entire album and resized them all, but only a few ACTUALLY resized...I'll go thru and do it again.

I have a picture of the bolt pattern for the ring gear on the way as well, it looks like it's 1.9"x8 -or- 49mmx8
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I'm also looking for advice on how to pull the gearsets, this isn't the same as the G series transmission write up I was looking at and I don't want to start pulling on stuff and break it.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

a bolt patern will be from one bolt to another 180* from it (just like on wheels).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

ah hah, well in that case, it would be 5"
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

epic writeup.. thx!

Comment

It appears that this is NOT a G-series transmission, they have a 10 bolt ring gear which are riveted to the differential.

The question still remains as to what type of transmission this is.. they used this on 1.5 and 1.6L engines from 00-06 I think then switched to a hyundai beta motor and transmission.

I don't know what I'm going to do with this, if I can figure out a way of making it work I will, otherwise I'm looking at a new transmission, I'm not tearing it down any more, I see how to get the gearsets off, but I'm not going to unless I have to, there's a pin holding a pin that pushes in from the outside of the case by the front motor mount, pull those two out and the shift lever will come off. Remove the 3 12mm bolts from the shift gate and twist it off and the gearsets should pull out as one piece.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

F series maybe?
              I know the later proteges with the 1.5 and 1.6 engines used an f25mr trans.
              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
              92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
              New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

It may be, I can't seem to find an up close and personal picture of an F series transmission anywhere and I've been searching 4 forum sites for the last couple weeks for any info I can get. Even if it was, quaife is the only company that I know of that makes an LSD for it, and it costs 1200+$+shipping...so it would still be cheaper for me to locate a G series and get either an mfactory differential or mazdaspeed LSD, and it would be a better transmission I think. It's a shame too, I was really hoping to have the higher gear ratio transmission on my car :[
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Search my posts i was told the rio trans was a g series . Why are the axle splines the same ? And as for high gear ratio ,thats incorrect its def low gear . I was running 3450 at 70 mph with mine , but it pulled like a mule .
                  New build on the way .

Comment

I'm wondering if it's design is based on the G series, it'd explain the similarities

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I really don't know.. lol who knows what they did.. but I won't be able to make an mfactory differential bolt to the big gear, and I can't get any measurements from a G series gear myself unless I buy a g series transmission, which at that point would not be worth swapping parts...to find out if I could even swap in the g series gear into this to make something work. I guess I'm going to have to get the capri b6t transmission and try to put a diff in that. It really sucks because that's an extra 300$ I don't have but I need to come up with. Maybe if I stand on the corner long enough.....?

Anyone need a KIA tranny?
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Dude I have spare diff's kickin around, I'll send you one for shipping costs

It's a 28 spline diff, so useless for a festiva application, but it's physical size is the same as a 26 spline so it'd be perfect for measuring/comparing

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I really do appreciate the offer, but I'm probably not going to do anything with this transmission. As a bolt in(fab brackets..) and go for a stock motor it would probably do fine, but it looks like it'll be too much hassle for me to do anything with it right now. I'll let it sit until I figure out what to do with it or someone else wants it. It's still a good tranny so I'm not trading it as a core charge for the new one.

It might not all be a waste yet, I may still be able to use the axels and I'll be able to determine wether the Rio hubs will work in an aspire or not....and this saves me the headache of re-wiring the instrument cluster.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

This has pics of a F & G series

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                            It may be, I can't seem to find an up close and personal picture of an F series transmission anywhere and I've been searching 4 forum sites for the last couple weeks for any info I can get.:[

It def has dif webbing on the hat than an F series....
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yea, the 94-97 Kia Sephia G series transmissions had different webbing on the case too, but they were/are g series transmissions, and half of the guys on cp.com have been using them.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X