Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this and does it have to come out before hot tanking the block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this and does it have to come out before hot tanking the block?

I just knocked out all the core plugs, and i'm getting ready to pull the crank out of the block, but I need to know what this is, and if it needs to come out of the block before I take it in tomorrow for hot tanking and work.

The little brass looking thing, I think it's a plug, but I don't know what it's there for, it doesn't go to the part of the block that water is in.

2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

that's to the oil galley, not nessisary to remove before hot tanking.

oh and: "I want to ask you a couple of questions and i want you to answer them. Who is your daddy, and what does he do?"
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

ah man.. I didn't even think about that.. I should just call him and ask him all these stupid questions...

while I'm looking up the number for the cemetary, can you tell me how many bearing inserts should be hiding under the main bearing caps? I pulled the crank out for a split second and one dropped out, I only see 2, and both are on the #4 cap, but I don't know if I should be looking for more or not.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Thrust washers? Only 2. (from what I think I remember)
        -Donny
        -1992 Festiva GL
        B6D/E-series.
        -1991 GL
        BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

sweet, thats all I can see there is room for, but it helps to be sure.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Yes, that's an oil galley plug. It is pretty thick and pressed in the block....next to impossible to get out. When I had my B6 block done, I drilled a large hole in it. Reason being, I always clean out all the oil passages with brushes and warm soapy water. I have seen some really nasty crap come out of oil galleys...even after being hot-tanked. I then tapped the hole and installed a pipe plug with thread sealant.

Honestly, the oil passages in these motors are pretty well designed and efficient. If I had it to do over, I would have left it alone. I do, however, recommend cleaning the block out very thoroughly with soapy water and a set of engine brushes (available at Harbor Freight for cheap). Then immediately blow dry it with compressed air and wipe the cylinder walls and machined surfaces with a lint free rag soaked in ATF.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Good advice man.. I pulled some plugs out of the other side that had brass washers on them, and there was some serious nasty gunk comming out of those holes. They're supposed to clean the block for me at the machine shop, will they get all that crap out of there in the process? Does it clean the cylinder walls and all inside the block when they do that or is it just the outside of the block? I can clean the outside of it if that's all they're doing.....I figure hot tanking cleans everything..??!

I'm supposed to drop off the block and pistons here in a hour or two, they quoted me 85$ for honing the cylinders and hot tanking plus whatever the cost of new piston rings and main/rod bearings. They're supposed to look into some tri metal clevites instead of bi metal OEM bearings.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Personally, I never trust the machine shop to clean everything good enough for final assembly. The hot tank alone will not do an effective job at cleaning out the oil passages (depending how gunky they are). A good machine shop will scrub the crap out of everything, but time is money. I always clean everything myself just prior to assembly. There is no such thing as being "too clean" when it comes to engine assembly.
                Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

I gotcha.. eh, that block really is NOT as dirty as any that are currently running or have ever ran in any of my cars, but it's still pretty dirty. I'll still get them to clean it and hope I don't have to wash my hands every time I touch it. Don't know how I'll get to that particular oil passage if I don't remove that plug tho.. I am in the process of cleaning all the oil squirters and main caps now..

when they clean it, will it remove all traces of old gasket material? I don't know if I should have them shave the block/head surface or not, I already had them mill .02" off the head (which apparently I shouldn't have done)
                  Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    Don't know how I'll get to that particular oil passage if I don't remove that plug tho..

when they clean it, will it remove all traces of old gasket material?

I don't know if I should have them shave the block/head surface or not,
                    You won't be able to clean that passage with a brush. You'll have to rely on pressurized air/water.

No, not all traces of the old gaskets. I usually clean the old gaskets off before I take it in for work. That way I don't have to scrape gaskets when I get it back and reduce the risk of getting gasket material in the "clean" engine.

I would only surface the block if it's warped. The machinist can check it for you with a straight edge. I believe you're building a BP? I don't know if they use a MLS head gasket or not(?). It may require a much smoother block surface. I would be very gentle when cleaning off the block (so you don't gouge the surface or nick it up). Someone with BP experience would be able to offer better advice. I tend to get slightly neurotic about such things.
                    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                      I don't know if they use a MLS head gasket or not(?). It may require a much smoother block surface. I would be very gentle when cleaning off the block (so you don't gouge the surface or nick it up). Someone with BP experience would be able to offer better advice. I tend to get slightly neurotic about such things.
                      +1
                      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                      X