fms race cam ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fms race cam ?!

anyone here ever used one? id like to know what it feels like, sounds like ]. i know that it is recomended that you raise the compression but can you run it on without doing that?

ive just never seen anyone on her install one and would like to know.

anyone here got one they would sell?
    Last edited by bobbyspider; 03-24-2012, 01:15 PM.
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

compression will add to the overall HP gain,

A cam alone without tuning and stuff like headers/intake/intake manifold.

Comment

Baker, and jim_in_fl both have them in their b3's
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

have you ridden/drove their cars?
        -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
        -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I owned bakers car, it was rich normans old auto-x car. I swear it's the fastest na b3 ever. Revs so fast.

Jims car revs fast but still has cat and exhaust so it's not as rev happy. But it has a shaved head so it seems like it has more low end torque

They sound awesome idling and both get 40+ mpgs
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

The higher compression is recommended because of the increased valve overlap, which is the duration that both intake and exhaust valves are open. Cams with high overlap will reduce cylinder pressure and raising the static compression ratio helps compensate. Typically, they are very weak on the bottom end and perform best in the upper RPM. Nothing is a bigger pooch than an over-cammed low compression engine. As far as the FMS race cam, its hard to say what the actual specs are, but if the idle is rough, I'd say higher compression would be a good idea.
            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-24-2012, 10:38 PM.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

good info. does fms sell these anymore? their products seem to be limited now.

Comment

FMS cam

I have one in my B3.I do not think it was worth it but it has been about 6 years now and I did not raise the compression.
                Last edited by MTBOX; 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM.

Comment

No clue....
                  If you're interested in a larger cam, Matt Dickmeyer might have one of his own designs. He would be able to tell you exactly what its specs are. As opposed to FMS, which can't even seem to provide any info on any of their cams.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                    The higher compression is recommended because of the increased valve overlap, which is the duration that both intake and exhaust valves are open. Cams with high overlap will reduce cylinder pressure and raising the static compression ratio helps compensate. Typically, they are very weak on the bottom end and perform best in the upper RPM. Nothing is a bigger pooch than an over-cammed low compression engine. As far as the FMS race cam, its hard to say what the actual specs are, but if the idle is rough, I'd say higher compression would be a good idea.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    Originally posted by MTBOX View Post
                    I have one in my B3.I do not think it was worth it but it has been about 6 years now and I did not raise the compression.
                    i think this post may explain why you may not feel any difference because you didnt raise the compression
                    Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                    No clue....
                    If you're interested in a larger cam, Matt Dickmeyer might have one of his own designs. He would be able to tell you exactly what its specs are. As opposed to FMS, which can't even seem to provide any info on any of their cams.
                    ill pm matt to see what he has going on -thanks

Comment

^ bobby, matt hasn't been part of this site in well over a year.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

huh well that sucks

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear. You can Google his shop, Dickmeyer Automotive, and get his phone number...give him a call. I think he had some parts made for people that never bought them. Not sure if he had any extra cams or not. There's another member here that is having him port a head. If I wasn't on a Blackberry, I'd give you a link.
                          Brian

Comment

Working...
                          X