Garrett GT1752 for a B3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
    It wouldn't be that good for a BP, dude. The BP motor inhales a lot more air than a B3, you'd gas that turbo out fast.
    I thought about that after I said it. The BP already makes what, about 130HP in stock form, the turbo's supposed to be "good" up to about 200, from what I'm reading, but that's close to the end of the "plays nicely" range. Considering that, I might just save this turbo for something else, and grab a BP for $250 to drop in. (Yes, I know "Drop in" over simplifies it, but that's how I choose to say it.)

I'll probably make a mostly final decision once the Camaro's running properly, which will either be $15 from now, or several hours of tracing wiring. :/

To reiterate my original point, though, I'm not looking to make big power numbers. I like the efficiency of turbocharging, and enjoy a "little extra" from time to time. I also love power surge from boost coming on, even if it's just a little surge.
    Last edited by Christ; 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
      I thought about that after I said it. The BP already makes what, about 130HP in stock form, the turbo's supposed to be "good" up to about 200, from what I'm reading, but that's close to the end of the "plays nicely" range. Considering that, I might just save this turbo for something else, and grab a BP for $250 to drop in. (Yes, I know "Drop in" over simplifies it, but that's how I choose to say it.)

I'll probably make a mostly final decision once the Camaro's running properly, which will either be $15 from now, or several hours of tracing wiring. :/

To reiterate my original point, though, I'm not looking to make big power numbers. I like the efficiency of turbocharging, and enjoy a "little extra" from time to time. I also love power surge from boost coming on, even if it's just a little surge.
      Correct on BP power level.

The compressor chart I'm reading says that, on a BP motor, that turbo will be spinning itself to death with a quickness.
      1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
      1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
      2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Though I no longer have the compressor map for the 1752 and 1752s, I can tell you that it is sized correctly for 1.3 liter 8 valve 4 cylinder. They are known to be a huge restriction on the Saab engine ( which should have come with a gt2560). SAAB used the tiny 1752 to make their engines feel more like a large displacement N/A 4 cylinder. It's comparable to a kkk ko3. It has also been used on diesel engines up to 2.0 liters. (don't quote me on this, but I think VW used this turbo as well).
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          Though I no longer have the compressor map for the 1752 and 1752s, I can tell you that it is sized correctly for 1.3 liter 8 valve 4 cylinder...
          Would it be suitable on an 8 valve B6?

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk
          Last edited by fastivaca; 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Well, I won't be using it on the 1.3, cuz I've decided to move up to a EGT engine over the summer, once I've got the Camaro sorted enough to be a semi-reliable DD. So now, I've got to do /more/ research, on what I need for the EGT swap. :/

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              Would it be suitable on an 8 valve B6?

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk
              Yes, if you're wanting to make about 150-160whp.

Comment

Those turbos max at around 230 sae net hp. I have personally had gt1752 equipped engines on an engine dyno, so 150-160 would be very easy. The turbocharger wouldn't be your weak link, it will most likely supply enough air to discover the weak link in a stock b6.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Rods letting loose, Id think.

Xr2 is B6T, Yes? Theres one in my local, 135k on it ~$300 u pull. I'm thinking about grabbing it if it's still there next week. Clean car, too :/

Comment

Nix that last question... Not getting it. Ill post about it later though, maybe one of you guys can snag it.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                      Rods letting loose, Id think.
                      With the amount of boost being shoved into the B6 to create that power, I'd be worried about blowing gaskets or detonating and popping ring lands/rod bolts.

Comment

Detonation will end the party for sure, but can be avoided with proper tuning. My guess would be that the factory head will not allow more than 200hp without major modifications. The intake ports and valve size will be a restriction long before the gt17 runs out of juice. When the engine can't consume the air your trying to force into and out of it you'll see a drastic rise in iat, resulting in higher combustion temp, then detonation then chunks of piston being puked out. My guess is somewhere between 190 to 220hp at around 6 grand with about 20-25 psi, if tuning is spot on and the turbo system is properly designed. Someone try it so we can see for sure! Lets test the BMEP of a stock b6. Lol

Comment

i have just the head for this... but i'm not EFI in Scrappy so that's out, though i DO have a B6 Aspire i'd be willing to try that on... just need the turbo in question.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            i have just the head for this... but i'm not EFI in Scrappy so that's out, though i DO have a B6 Aspire i'd be willing to try that on... just need the turbo in question.
                            If you're being totally cereal (Apple Jacks, not Cheerios) I'll take a look in a couple weeks when I go back up to the yard and see if there's another one there, and I'll pull it for cost+shipping/fuel/whatever.

Unless you have a decent BP you'd like to make a deal on...

Comment

hahahaha NO! :p
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Anybody know how to identify a turbo (Garrett) by serial numbers? I just pulled another one today that IS NOT the same as the 1752 (different bearing cartridge, seems like it might be ball bearings), but is approximately the same size, and other than "Garrett" and a serial number, there's no obvious info on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X