CARB Legal Headers in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARB Legal Headers in California

Need information on CARB legal headers in California. Would like to add one to my '92. Not sure if there are any available.

I've replaced the CAT with an after market one. Think the muffler is non-stock, but generally quiet. Would like to keep it that way. K&N standard air filter. Iridium plugs. Replacement coil. Keeping the 1.3L

Any suggestions ?? Every Day Driver.

There is none. On a stock motor it really wouldn't be worth it. Just get a catback.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Make sure your cat has the cal numbers on the bottom, they must
      be visible with a mirror held under the car.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        Make sure your cat has the cal numbers on the bottom, they must
        be visible with a mirror held under the car.
        I've never seen this done at a regular smog test ever. Only at the mega official Bureau of Automotive Repair engine swap test.
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

If you are wanting a header and are concerned with passing the CARB or smog inspection, I would install a factory manifold from a 1st gen B6. It has larger diameter and longer runners. You can then have a larger downpipe made. It will look 100% stock and flow much better than the factory B3 manifold, but you will probably lose some low-end torque and MPG (at least those who have done it have reported such). For a stock street driven B3, you're better off to stick with the factory manifold.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Only time a festiva is going to be scrutinized is 1 that is brought from out of state or fallen out of the system. I would go ahead buy the header and put it on after I smog the car.
            Sorry I read this too fast. Stock b3, no 1.6. No need to get new exhaust on it unless they are corroded, a muffler shop will put on a new cat that is larger an add new pipe that is larger so it is already slightly better performance because the pipe that they carry in stock is larger than what our cars come with. THE bottom of the barrel replacement muffler with no resonator actually gives a nice bubbly tone too. Some really small places will install a cat and smog your car on site for less than 250 dollars
            Last edited by getnpsi; 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

working on the border I install California spec stuff and 49 state stuff. Inspectors may
              skip things but we are faced with repercussions or / and fines ..California cars get the
              mega-expensive California parts, and so do 49 state cars with a California plate.

Eastern Catalytic Converter - Natural, Minor modifications required, 49-state legal - no CA shipments
              1993 Ford Festiva L 4 Cyl 1.3L -- EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Eastern catalytic converters are constructed using Eastern's proprietary NANO technology chemistry that yields highly efficient loadings for lower cost and better converter efficiency. It features high flow design that maximizes engine output and catalytic efficiency.

Obviously I use the 49 state on mine for the 6000 GVW cert...Need it hauling firewood!!
              LOL!!!

Specifications
              3-way catalyst style
              6,000 lb GVW
              With one air tube provision
              Without oxygen sensor port
              Oval body
              6 x 4.25 x 10 in. body, 14 in. overall length
              2 in. inlet diameter
              2 in. outlet diameter
              Single inlet and outlet configuration
              Notes
              49-state legal; Not for sale or use in California; Cannot be shipped to California addresses
              Non-directional and can be installed either way
              Modification of the exhaust is required

Part Number: EAST70419
              Finish: Natural
              Type: Minor modifications required, 49-state legal - no CA shipments
              Quantity Sold: Sold individually
              Warranty: 5-year or 50,000-mile Eastern warranty
              $40 Availability: In Stock

And now the $544 California spec cat with additional labor...

Magnaflow Front Catalytic Converter - Natural, Minor modifications required, 50-state legal
              1993 Ford Festiva L 4 Cyl 1.3L -- MAGNAFLOW 36000 SERIES CATALYTIC CONVERTER

This OEM grade CatSMART converter is developed to meet even the most stringent tail pipe emissions. Made from heavy gauge stainless steel, tip to tip, this catalytic converter has a ribbed body that minimizes expansion and distortion when it heats up. It has the strongest and smoothest flowing inlet and outlet joint and uses a monolithic honeycomb catalyst. It is also seam welded close to the converter body for a strong, tight bond. Above all, it has an optimized PGM loading and wash coat formulation that addresses the needs of today's computer controlled On-Board Diagnostic-equipped vehicles. Magnaflow's CatSMART engineering eliminates false fail catalyst-related diagnostic codes by addressing specific oxygen storage capacity needs.

Specifications
              3-way catalyst style
              Round body
              One unit may cover a wide variety of vehicle makes and models
              9 in. L x 5.13 in. W, 13 in. overall length
              2 in. inlet diameter
              2 in. outlet diameter
              Single inlet and outlet configuration
              Notes
              Direct fit catalytic converter legal for sale in California under Executive Order (EO) number D-193-86. Before purchasing this product, please check the Executive Order at www.arb.ca.gov to verify whether this product is allowed for installation on your specific vehicle application.
              May require additional welding for optimal installation
              Last edited by Movin; 04-24-2012, 12:20 AM.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. The new CAT is California legal. Also the mufler is slightly biger and stock after market. It runs good!! The car steps out smartly when asked. Will Index the plugs and clean out whatever carbon is hanging around. Have been using the old NHRA hood trick. It still works! Also, if you have the old FORD style EGR valve, the one with the blue bottom, keep it !! Clean it and use it forever. All the replacement units I've used reduced performance. My car runs stronger with a clean FORD EGR valve. This has been just my experience. ( I run the B3... every little bit helps.)

I218127

Comment

What's the NHRA hood trick?

Where would I find the EGR valve you mentioned? What motors were they used on?

What kind of shims do you use to index the B3 plugs?
                  '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
                  X