Interchangeable Manifolds? Aspire Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchangeable Manifolds? Aspire Related

So I was searching around ebay today and came across what appeared to be a MAZDA B5-ME Series engine. However...Despite the familiar appearance of that which resembles our festivas and aspires. This engine's intake manifold and plenum were in the westside position.

Meaning. the throttle body and intake manifold looked more like it was off a mitsubishi lancer or civic. It points Away from the exhaust manifold and more towards the left rear. Here's a pic. Who here can shed some light on what this is?

As everyone can see...The head and everything looks like the traditional mazda/ford valve cover. Even the injectors look similar. IF there really is an interchangeable intake manifold for the Aspire. To what would that one be from?

Answers and thoughts?

ps. i did a brief search before making this thread.
    Raising the bar for compact cars around the world.
    .:: 1997 Aspire ::. The Glowspire. Revived project
    .:: 1998 Aspire ::. The Glowspire red bean. Current Project

My Ford Aspire DIY Wing Conversion
    Glow_Mouse's 97' Glowspire
    Glow_Mouse's 98' Glowspire
    Ford Aspire Forum Here!
    Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 1!
    Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 2!

The Mazda B6-ME in the 90-94 323s here in the states had a similar intake setup to that... Same thing with the B8-ME. Each of those intakes only bolt to that specific engine/head though, and were not interchangeable with each other.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Shazam.

2 piece mani made for the B6D in a Kia Sephia might work if you could bolt the upper onto the B3 lower. Don't know for certain, but it might be worth a try. Looks to have a nicer/smoother transition from TB to plenum too.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I could make a new plenum for y'all if there was enough interest, check out my BP plenum thread.

One for the B3/B6 would be easier to do as it's smaller
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

The Sephia B6D appears to use the same gasket set as the MX3, less the intake gaskets. The MX3 has oval ports on the intake, and a one-piece manifold, IIRC.

1994 Kia Sephia 1.6L intake set

1997 Ford Aspire 1.3L intake set

1992 Ford Festiva 1.3L intake set

Comparing the two, yep, they'll bolt up. The Kia's upper has much more port diameter, though. There would be some matching required for that. The center bolt falls in a meaty area of the B3 lower, so no problem drilling and tapping that to accept the bolt in the correct location.

Comment

dang! And thats why I love this site! Quick answers. Ookay well in australia we have the B5-Me and B3-ME variant in our aspires/festiva's. However the B5 uses B6 mazda genuine parts. I'm really confident that the b6 intake manifold will fit.

Thanks guys!
            Raising the bar for compact cars around the world.
            .:: 1997 Aspire ::. The Glowspire. Revived project
            .:: 1998 Aspire ::. The Glowspire red bean. Current Project

My Ford Aspire DIY Wing Conversion
            Glow_Mouse's 97' Glowspire
            Glow_Mouse's 98' Glowspire
            Ford Aspire Forum Here!
            Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 1!
            Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 2!

Comment

I might grab a Sephia whole manifold and see how it works out... The ports are obviously funny shaped, but that's not gonna bother much.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                I might grab a Sephia whole manifold and see how it works out... The ports are obviously funny shaped, but that's not gonna bother much.
                those look nothing alike when you look closely, the bolt patterns are similar but I doubt anything will match up well at all... that you will mind, it means no sealing and lots of leaks.
                89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

^^ Agreed. Not going to line up. Sephia upper might be able to bolt to an Aspire lower, but again, not everything would line up. Festiva upper bolt pattern looks different enough that it wouldn't work with the Kia one.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                    ^^ Agreed. Not going to line up. Sephia upper might be able to bolt to an Aspire lower, but again, not everything would line up. Festiva upper bolt pattern looks different enough that it wouldn't work with the Kia one.
                    I meant to only use the upper section tho. I have to buy the whole manifold from the yard, or else they'll charge me for the whole thing anyway. Better to have the "free" scrap aluminum.

Just for gits and shiggles, I'll hold a gasket up to the manifold and take a pic anyway to see how bad it's misaligned. A die grinder to the head might take care of any problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X