ordering a kl clutch for my bp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordering a kl clutch for my bp

Sounds a bit off doesn't it? Rumor has it the 93+ 626/probe/mx6 2.5l (g series) disk and pressure plate interchange with a BP flywheel and xr2/EGT/protege g series tranny.

I didn't believe it, still have my doubts, but I got a few guys on cp.com to confirm it does work. Supposedly it has more of a friction surface, and the stage 2 for kl's is comparable to stage 3 for bps, just cheaper.

Anybody here tried it, or have the means to confirm this?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

The splines on the clutch disk are identical, I can verify that all day long lol as for the pressure plate, I believe they will interchange, the only part in question would be if the dowels lined up, but I'm not sure if the clutch disk would be larger in diameter or not though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I dunno, I posted a wtb on a 626 site for an old pplate and disk, if someone has one laying around maybe i can get it for cheap and check before I spend 200+/- $ on something else I can't use. I was really wanting to get the clutch like yesterday but this might be worth the wait. It's better and cheaper.

I wonder, if the parts stores had the stock 626 clutch in stock, if I could take in my flywheel and see what's up?
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-26-2012, 08:42 PM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The KL clutch disk and PP are the same as the XR2. Both are 225mm dia. Will work on the BP, the dowels are the same.

I dont think the KL TOB works with the 4cyl trans, but its been a while since i messed with these things

Check the rockauto interchanges for more fitment info
        Last edited by Rocketman; 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM.
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I figured the tob would be different, hell I'm ready to order on your word alone rocketman.. they said on cp that the friction disk surface was 10% larger, I was concerned it was a larger OD that might not fit in the flywheel. Bottom line is that the stage 2 for the kl is rated/comparable to the numbers for the stage 3 BP clutches, for a cheaper pricetag. Southbend doesn't make clutches 'for bps.' I'll cross reference tob part numbers in a minute, but it doesn't really matter, it would just be convienient.
          Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-26-2012, 10:47 PM.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

i used a miata clutch due to there are so many and there cheap on ebay. just need a different tob. but i have heard the 626 had a larger disc and can be used.

Comment

I was getting ready to order the stage 2 dxd clutch last night, I had my card and everything ready, 195$ is a decent price right?

Until I got to the shipping screen, they want almost 50 bucks for the cheapest shipping! So for 250$ I figured I would shop around. I've compiled a list of clutch disk, pplate, and kit #'s for the 626/probe, and the protege stage 1-3/5, what tq they're rated at, and prices from southbend, clutchnet, spec,and act. I was going to do the eBay clutches, but I don't think I want to gamble with the eBay specials, unless its a name brand clutch.

A lot of the prices are screwey, there are a lot of recurring part numbers and stuff. I think I might just go for the stage 1 dxd clutch rated for 250 for about $200 after shipping.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

I don't even know what to think, rockauto.com sells the same part numbers for 93 626/protege/capris with g series transmissions. There is one part number off, the timken t/o bearing for proteges doesn't match the one for capris and 626's, yet other brand t/o bearings are the same part #. Everything else is pretty much the same.

From what I can tell, looking at the aftermarket part numbers, each manufacturer uses the same pressure plate and different material disks is what they base the tq ratings on.
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-28-2012, 10:42 PM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                X