Cruise Control almost done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Control almost done!

This actually took a lot less time than I thought it would.

Today I installed the homemade wiring harness and did a few minor finishing touches. Now all I need to do is hook up the B+, ground, short out the speed sensor (a REAL pain in the ass to deal with) wire, and tap into the brake light wiring.

That's it.

It took all of a weekend to put everything together, from making the wiring harnesses to putting everything in.

The cruise control setup is really very simple; perhaps the most confusing part was wiring the whole mess together. That really wasn't a problem for me - I've been messing about with electronics from an early age.

If I pull this experiment off, I'll probably make DIY kits to flog on eBay or this NG...

The end result looks really unprofessional and homeade from the engine compartment (zip ties and scrap metal were used...), but I made sure everything stayed put and functioned.

Pictures to follow soon; this time I made notes and took pictures as I went along.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Got it all hooked up, and...

Nothing.

I suspect the servo thingy in the engine compartment is at fault, because it rattles, and creaks when I accelerate. Could also be that I tapped the wrong vacuum line...

Will have to get Shorty's Tracer manual this weekend and go through the troubleshooting steps...

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

very complex system. no one on the protege board has figured out how to rig it yet. guys with the base model DX can't rig the LX's crusie to their cars w/success.

would be cool if you can get it to work! Having had the cc on my protege & now my MX3 i can say there is no way in hell i could live with a car without cc for long. On long trips, its a godsend...just tap the button at 72mph and sit back listening to your music steering the car.
      Wil
      02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
      00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
      05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
      93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
      96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
      93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

I found it quite simple - all you need are about a half dozen parts, the wiring diagram, and a little ingenuity.

Maybe you have a different CC setup?

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I installed cruise in my Festiva. Have to see if I can find the old article I posted...
          1990 LX Mostly Stock

1996 Impala SS, Not Stock

Comment

Ok, here it is;
            1990 LX Mostly Stock

1996 Impala SS, Not Stock

Comment

Mine works, but the danged servo valve thing rattles and is annoying as hell...

I'll have to get another.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
              X