Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a Japanese sourced B6 work??

Hey guys,

I found a shop in Atlanta that sells low mileage B6 engines, but the owner told me there are quite a few differences between the American version and the Japanese version of these engines. He told me I was better off pulling from a salvage yard. It was cool that he just didn't try and sell me an engine. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Let me know
    Thanks,
    Joe
    90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
    94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
    94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

I'm sure someone has at least tried to install a japanese B6 in their car. The engines available have low miles, and they cost a bit more. I don't mind paying a bit more if the engine will last longer. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe
    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

Well Joe,
      First question is does the engine come with the wiring harness and ECU if so it should work matt just installed a JDM BPT engine in a Festi but if it's a standard SOHC B6 it should bolt right in.

Good Luck

Will
      Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
      187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

There is no reason it shouldn't work if you have the B6 ECU and harness... and it is possible to run a B6 off the festiva harness and ECU if necessary. I had to use the festi injectors because the harness wouldn't clip to the B6 injectors. I probably wasn't getting full power potential from the motor, but I could drive 95MPH easily on the freeway, and I was still getting over 40 miles to the gallon.

Its great to see a fellow georgian on here finally. If ya need any help with your swap I'd love a chance to get under the hood of another festiva. Also if ya need any bits and pieces from my B6 you are more than welcome to them. I blew the cylinder head, but everything else is in pretty good shape. I don't need the B6 anymore as I have a BP about 1/2 way installed now :twisted:.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Motoxpress, the engine would not come with an ECU or wiring harness, due to the fact that it would be coming from an engine shop. I wish it did though hehehe. Couldn't I just pick one up from a salvage car that it potentially would have been installed in? I saw a few Mazda 323's in the bone yard the other day. If I requested a SOHC B6 japanese engine that would work in the 323, wouldn't I be okay?

htchbck, I appreciate your offer to help me out with the swap. I might take you up on it if you are serious :wink: I think it would take you about 1.5 hours to get here from Dahlonega; according to google maps. I don't know what bits and pieces I would need from your B6, but it's cool of you to offer those to me as well.
          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

I'm definitely sreious about helping. I'd have to work around my schedule at work, and since I do retail I only know my schedule about 2 weeks in advance. However, I do know that I have from May 31 to June 8 off of work because I was going to try to go with my family to chicago, but that didn't work out. I don't have any plans for that time as of right now so if any of those dates work for you I'm up for it. If not, maybe we can find some other time. I'll just bring the B6 and all the pieces with me and we'll see if we need anything. I've been a one car guy for 2 years now, and its about time I spiced things up by cheating on the little blue with another festiva, lol...
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

That sounds good!! I would have to acquire the engine, so that we would have something to install. I just want to make SURE that the Japanese counterpart would work for my application. They are charging $550 for the engines, and I believe they only have around 40,000 miles on them. I did find one at a local yard over the phone that only had 17,000 miles on it, but they wanted $650 for it. I think that's getting a little steep :shock: We can set tentative plans if you'd like for the weekend of the 2nd - 4th. You could let me know either way by email lakevil1@aol.com or wrestler3025@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
              Joe
              92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

Working...
              X