94 Aspire vs 91 BP Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Aspire vs 91 BP Wiring

Ok so I'm trying to get some of the wiring mess sorted out for my swap, I have a 94 Aspire and I'm putting a 93 BP in using a 91 BP harness. From what I can tell, all first generation harnesses are the same for BP's. (if you know different let me know)

Anyway, I've got the dash and all the heat/ac components pulled, and stripped all the wires I thought were junk from the Aspire harness on the passenger side. The Distributor plugs, the MAF wires, o2 sensor wire, and IAT sensor wires. All that is left on the passenger side is the headlight wiring and what I believe is the a/c condenser fan relay. (middle relay between the DRL relay and headlight relay) all stripped back to the driver side of the passenger compartment. I left the stock speaker wires and the dome light wires that run up the passenger A pillar.

I was looking at the whole driver side harness, and I am looking for input before I start stripping wires I might need over there.. The BP harness is a "full" engine harness, it has the wires for the VAF and everything around the throttle body (injector socket..) and the o2 sensor. It has at least one wire for the transmission, but I can't tell if it has the other two, the 5th/reverse light swith, and I think there's one more but ATM it escapes me.

I know I need to keep the starter and alternator wires from the driver side, but stuff like the old EGR wires, IAC valve, injector wires, intake mani wires, ..., and AC relay still need to go. Should I try to keep the wires for the other 2 sensors on the transmission, or should the BP harness have it, the only one I can see with the same socket is the one with the fins on the side, but I know there's 3 sensors on the transmission.

Looking for any input, can someone give me a quick rundown of the Main fuses, are all of those comming from the starting system to the Main Fuse box, then to the ECU where I'll have to splice them into the new harness that plugs into the ECU? I know.. I should have just started with a festy and wouldn't be messing with this junk, but nobody ever accused me of being smart.

Also, just to make it harder, I plan on eliminating the ignition switch and having a push button start. I'll end up basically not having an "acc" position, just run/start.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

OK so I've been into it for a couple hours now, progress is slow, 20 year old tape is NASTY and I am trying not to use the razor knife as much as possible with the + battery wires in this mess.

I've decided against removing the Aspires stock transmission wiring, I still have the 2 sensors from it, I think I was wrong in thinking there were 3 sensors, one sensor acts as two and has 4 wires comming from it. This is where I wish one of you would say something to help me confirm my thoughts...............and tell me if you used the stock sensors or the BP sensors?!

The BP sensors are both 2 wire sensors, one of the aspire sensors is a 4 wire, the BP manuals/wiring diagrams I have show the stuff at the ECU, but neglect to show me the wiring harness past that like the EVTM Manual for the Aspire, so I don't know if the other transmission stuff is on a different branch stemming from the harness that I don't have or what..

Good news is, all the now junk engine wires are basically all on one branch which plugs to a socket right before it goes through to the fender, 2 wires were on the other socket, but they were for the IAC and TPS, so I know I don't need those, I think. The Pos battery cable/starter/alt wires were easy to keep track of, they're not on the same branch, but they don't interfere much with the other wires.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-04-2012, 01:28 AM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I got all the wires pulled that I plan on pulling, specific question, does anyone have the harness diagram like you would find in the evtm for a protege of the passenger compartment harnesses and the engine compartment harnesses? That's all I need ill figure the rest out. I hope I don't end up having to buy a new book (protege evtm) with all the swap experts around.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Hey guy !!! I think you are paving the way on this . I dont recall anyone doing an aspire trans swap other then maybe nerd . Although i will say about the trans sensor yes , it does have four wires on one unit that responds as two .
        All you really need is back up lights and they are the green sensor wires . As for the engine i really feel when i start my swap i will be following nerds split harness chart. If you dont have it im sure he would send you a copy as he did me .
        Good luck and im watching this and stealing info ahhaha ...
        New build on the way .

Comment

It's just a BP swap with a G series transmission(into an aspire), I hope it's nothing that hasn't been done before!!!

What I'm thinking is, pretty much all the aspire engine electronics wires are removed now, there's a couple stragglers, but I'm not worried about that, some things make circuits I don't want to break.

All I'm asking for is help figuring out what these sockets on the BP Harness are for. I know the ones that go to the fuel rail, disty, temp sending unit, tps, and I'm trying to figure out what these other ones are for.

I'm here looking at it now, got off work early, and I've got the next 2 days off, so I'm gonna see what I can see and hopefully someone here or on cp.com can help me figure out what I can't. All I'm doing is using the old aspire wiring for all the lights/starting/charging systems/transmission sensors, and the BP engine harness for the rest. I hope someone has used the BP harness before?!
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

this is the info I need, the FSM has some of it, it's hard to navigate and really small print. Looking for something I could print out and draw on like this.

2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Figured out all the engine compartment sockets except one, this one, I *think* it may be for a transmission sensor. 2 sensors, 3 sockets, I know of two for sure, but this one doesn't fit the socket so I can't be 100%, and it's not located with the other 2 sockets, it's back real close (about 2 foot) to where this comes out of the firewall into the fender.

Then there's all these interior sockets I need to figure out. I know the two for the ECU, figuring out the rest is the problem with no car to look at and no wiring diagram to go by.

2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

^ The blue one is probably the juice feed from the starting system, 2 yellow sockets are for the ECU, Main Relay, so what are those other 2 sockets (black and white bottom center)
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Haven't got any diagrams, I got an idea, probably wrong, about what is going on there, and I have to splice those wires from my old harness. There's 5 random wires I have NO CLUE what they are for still.

Couple questions, what is the deal with the fuel pump? Everyone says you have to jumper power, is it just a +12v acc/run (run/start?) does the ECU control when it kicks on and when it doesn't or can/does it stay on 24/7? (in run/start)

it's comming together, I had to cut a few more wires from the engine bay from the ac relay on the firewall, and condenser fan relay on the pass fender, which eliminated the wrap around harness, so now I just have all the lights on the passenger harness, and the driver side has the start/charge/main power wires to the main fuse box and the dash fuse box. Just a couple more wires I need to figure out wtf they are for, and wtf I need to do with them! I'll get some pics, my fiancee bought a new camera today so maybe I can get some when it charges, this laptop is a pita to take pics with.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

You need to splice the fuel pump. I spliced mine into the big blue wire as its an ignition wire. You also need to splice the big blue wire into the fuse box. I have a whole pre done harness that you just splice in at the ecu. Let me know if your interested in it

Comment

I think I've just about got it, I've been going over ways to juice the FP relay with the Main relay, and the more I think about it, the more i'm wondering why I even want to use the main relay, it's not hooked up to do anything more than give juice to the FP, I can use my old condenser fan relay power wire for the FP...

There's a white/red wire that splits off and powers everything in the engine bay, I'm trying to figure out if it needs ran from the main relay or not. I was thinking just pull power from the main fuel injection fuse in the engine bay, but maybe it needs the main relay!? not sure, kinda confused right now, the guys on cp.com have been great with helping me get the rest of the stuff figured out.. I'm 90% sure this white/red wire that juices everything came from a socket that is supposed to end up on the bottom of the main fuel inj fuse anyway......
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                      X