Diesel transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html

I believe the stock tire size on most of those cars was 175/70R13 or 185/60R14
    Last edited by Christ; 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

M5 3.45 1.94 1.28 0.86 0.69 (Tracer 2.5L, Festiva)

Supposedly that set matches the E-series trans in a Festiva. I'm not 100% on that and can't find a better resource quickly. Also note I don't have a FD number there. Someone who does, please chime in.
      Last edited by Christ; 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Mazda PN 1.7 L diesel, no need for custom axles....... Nuff said

/Thread

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          Mazda PN 1.7 L diesel, no need for custom axles....... Nuff said

/Thread
          Please find me one that isn't $2000 and is closer than two shipping zones away.

Comment

I know you said no TDI's but I can't imagine what the 2.0 tdi and 6 speed from my golf would be like in a festiva. 140hp and 236tq stock. From what I've read 200hp and 340tq or so is not hard at all.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              I know you said no TDI's but I can't imagine what the 2.0 tdi and 6 speed from my golf would be like in a festiva. 140hp and 236tq stock. From what I've read 200hp and 340tq or so is not hard at all.
              It's a little tougher, but you can do that with the 1.9 TD as well. It's just not as clean and doesn't get the same fuel economy. All depends on why you're building it, really.

Comment

Oh and it cruises 55 at 1500 RPM. I've managed just over 50 MPG with it and still have like 4000000 miles til its broke in.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Damkid - The PN also isn't fond of boost, from what I understand. Since the IP is basically half the engine for a diesel, changing it to a unit that is OK with boost will likely cost a fortune and fab time.

Every swap's gonna have some kind of crappy issues to deal with.

It was used for 5 years in the 323 only. Nobody has much of any information, and next to no parts availability. Can't boost it without serious modification. But it works with the stock trans.

Nah, I'd quicker make an adapter for a VW engine that there are a few hundred thousand of to use against the stock trans.
                  Last edited by Christ; 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                    Please find me one that isn't $2000 and is closer than two shipping zones away.
                    There was one in MI that was FS not long ago, also contact a local JDM importer then price out custom axles

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      There was one in MI that was FS not long ago, also contact a local JDM importer then price out custom axles
                      You can make the axles easily enough, and mounting a VW engine and trans doesn't require custom axles. You use MK1 axles into the stock hubs with a ball joint spacer. I've already measured it all up.

The axles would be easy to make anyway, because VW axles are generally tubes, while most others are sticks. Tube, meet stick. And some weld.

Comment

Glad to see there is inherent interest here, and glad to find there are diesel 'nuts' that are way ahead of me.
                        The local U-Pull here always has a couple of rusted or abandoned late 80s-early 90s VW diesels on hand and anything off them is cheap. In my case we're talking about a complete $400 accident-free car with known history and maintenance records but.... the inordinate amount of work (for me) just to achieve a 'fuel miser' is something I still have to get my head around. Likely much simpler to have welded-up whatever is wrong with the VW and drive it instead. This whole business is quite intriguing!
                        I had no idea that VW manufactured so many versions of the 1.6. All the way from 40KWatts to 59KW (54 to 80 hp?) the latter of which is what this one supposedly has.

Comment

It's an ECO-diesel? If it was in a Golf chassis of that vintage, it's about 50HP or so. Or maybe 62's the number. Can't recall.

There are two types of turbo diesels, both in Jettas, one is the ECO, the other is the TD. 80 and 92HP respectively.

The Festiva chassis is lighter (not by much), but if there's any "save" to the VW, just fix it and drive it. I got 50+ MPG in my '86 without really trying, and I've run it on everything from raw gas to alcohol and oil mixes with no ill effects. It also has had a blown head gasket since I started driving it that pukes oil like I pee at the bar.

Comment

As Christ provided it looks like the ratios aren't that different between oil and gas. Adapter plate and custom mounts seems easier than doing the engine compartment from scratch and axles possibly custom hubs etc
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                              As Christ provided it looks like the ratios aren't that different between oil and gas. Adapter plate and custom mounts seems easier than doing the engine compartment from scratch and axles possibly custom hubs etc
                              I pointed out the problem with adapter plates and the VW engine earlier. There is no chance to make it work with any other transmission without changing over to the Audi (or possibly some other) flywheel and clutch kit.

The problem lies with the pressure plate and flywheels' position being reversed. The VW trans places the release bearing at the rear of the trans, driving a rod that goes through the input shaft into the pressure plate surface.

Audi (linked to VW) flywheels (some) fit the VW crankshaft, and if you have to use an adapter plate, there's a good chance you'll also need a flywheel spacer, so it's not a stretch to fit the B3 flywheel and clutch kit by having the center milled out and a spacer made with the proper bolt pattern and welded into the center of the OE flywheel, that being the only custom internal part that'll likely never wear out in your lifetime.

Comment

The mount could be fairly easily sorted. It'd line up in almost the same place (at least from my '86 1.6D) as the BP mount would. A quick adapter bracket, and you're able to use the stock mount.

Yes, I've really thought this through.

Comment

Working...
                                X