No announcement yet.

Diesel transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a long and hard look at the purchase of a running but rusted 6/91 built 1.6TD this afternoon and have concluded that such an engine swap into a Festy (with me on the end of the grinder, hacksaw, torches, ratchets and wrenches) is just not going to happen. No matter how you did it the alternator, for one, would wind up almost sticking out through the grill of a Festy; the engine bay of a VW has a good 6 inches more room front to back and the firewall is tapered back and not plumb like a Festy. Also looking at things like the convoluted VW shifter mechanism at the transmission didn't instill any confidence, or desire, in my abilities to improvise. In short; installing a diesel would be a monumental undertaking.
    There are even smaller VW diesels marketed in Europe but it is highly unlikely that you or I could get our hands on one, especially a non-electronic version, for the $300 that this particular one was available for.
    I thought I would update the forum with what I initially suspected would turn out to be a "pipe dream".
    There is a fellow on YouTube and on some of the VW forums that managed to graft a non-turbo 1.6 diesel into an 85 Honda CRX back in 2008 but he's never been heard from again, aside from initially managing to bolt the engine into the car and having the motor run.

Comment

Working...
    X