VAF on 2nd gen B6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAF on 2nd gen B6

I did my B6 swap using a second gen B6 from a 1992 Mazda 323. At Madness, Artie told me I should have replaced my VAF as well. I am getting ready to hit the local LKQ, and am wondering what VAF I can use, if any, other than from the second gen, 92-94 323?
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Dude the VAF's are able to be tweaked, I know a guy running a BPT with a stock BP ECU and a tuned RX7 VAF and that's it, so if you gas mileage is where it should be, I say leave it alone and save your money

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Early Kia Sephia (pre 98 ) also had the same b6 in them. That's actually where I got my first one from. As long as its the "s" code your good to go.
      Last edited by gauge_half_inch; 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM.
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Damkid, my gas mileage is abysmal right now.
        gauge, S code?

Comment

Abysmal??

If you look on any VAF, there's a letter on it, "S" would be for the B6 then

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yep. S
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

yeah Paul, what happened to the MPG?
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I think he is still running the b3 vaf IIRC. Paul, what does that word mean? Is your mileage bad?
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

abysmal: horrible, bad, sucky, crappy, poopy, etc.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense with the "abs" root.

Anyway, it's possible the b3 vaf actually causes the car to run rich with the b6 injectors. If the flapper goes wide open earlier than a b6 unit and the ECU is trying to deliver fuel as though it had smaller injectors the injector dwell could be too long, especially at wot when the system is open loop.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Wonder if that's why my B8 car has only hit a max of 35 mpg or so... it has a K code vaf, which isn't a B8 vaf I believe. I'd like to see better mileage out of it, 40's would be nice, and I hit that max mpg driving it very easy.
                      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                        I did my B6 swap using a second gen B6 from a 1992 Mazda 323. At Madness, Artie told me I should have replaced my VAF as well. I am getting ready to hit the local LKQ, and am wondering what VAF I can use, if any, other than from the second gen, 92-94 323?
                        Look what I have:

If you are interested or don't find one at the LKQ drop me a line.
                        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

So what exactly is the difference between the VAfs? I'm familiar with MAFs, and I know they need to be calibrated to the injector size, so is the VAFS the same? Is it as Charlie described? Just a function of air volume displacing movement on a door...so the doors have differing surface area? I am very nervous about having a modded b6 and concerned about not being able to tune it for max potential. I'm a little spoiled with the OBD2 of my Mustang and being able to use a handheld or laptop.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

no need to be afraid of VAF's. They are outdated in comparison to MAF, but what is nice is that there are lots of options for our cars (Denso only made a few different configurations of VAF and most are to some degree interchangeable with very little work). Also, unlike a MAF, a VAF is adjustable. Just pop that black cover off and there is a spring tension adjustment. It can be used to fine tune for different flow injectors, fuel pressure, boost, you name it. You can also drill hole in the flapper door to change the characteristics of the unit, but don't do this unless you have a few spares because it's a trial and error mod for sure.
                            Early Non OBD compliant fuel management systems are very tunable if you know what to play with. VAF, FPR, Injectors and ignition curves are all variables that can be altered by a regular Joe and with Harbor freight tools and salvage yard parts. It's actually a lot of fun when you get used to it. Less messy than carburetors and points, and more hands on than OBD2 tuning software.

Comment

Sorry to take so long getting back, the LKQ trip was an adventure with no end. To top it off, the house has been a dreary place, my wifes friend from childhood passed today. I never got to know her, but wifey has been grief stricken

Anywho, yeah, the untouched 323 that was out there a couple weeks ago is GONE. So I might take you up on that VAF, Ice, how much?

Charlie, Arty, when I saw you guys at Madness, I was getting 19.5 to 20MPG. Then, with the new gasket on the TB, the "fix" on the IAC, and the increase to 40PSI on the tires, I started getting 23.5 MPG. I put in a tank of 89 and worked a night, and then went to Raleigh today. At tank up, I got 22.34 MPG, including some highway, but also 20 miles towing 600 pounds of steel.

That whole running rich thing. I think you are on to something, I have noticed some things, like it backfired the other night when I missed my shift, and went to fourth instead of second. How exactly do you know when you have it tuned right? Other than trial and error?

I had hoped to change that IAC out tonight. I have been soaking it in MMO, or sometimes PB Blaster, since Madness. It still seems to not be operating. I turn on my lights, and I drop to 650, and never come back up in RPMS at least. Doesn't seem to be in the cards, perhaps Monday.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X