Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better replacement valve springs for my B3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better replacement valve springs for my B3?

Are B6 springs any better than the stock B3 springs at all?

Are there better springs i can put into my B3?

Will the springs have any real effect on performance, or will it only be affected by the camshaft?
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the B3 & B6 springs are the same. The camshaft is, so there's no reason they should be different.
    "Better" springs is a relative term. Other than physical dimensions, the only real variable is the spring pressure, and that's determined by the camshaft profile. More agressive profiles require stronger springs to keep control of the valves. The only reason the spring would effect performance would be if the spring is too weak.

For a stock cam and stock RPM range, there's no benefit in using anything more than stock springs. The stock springs even appear to be acceptable for the FMS street cams. Stronger springs will increase the strain on the valvetrain components and depending on the spring pressure, can require additional components or mods to accompany them. If you're looking at going with an aftermarket cam, then springs may (or may not) be an issue, depending on the cam profile. Otherwise, the stock springs are adequate.
    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^ yes. it's been noted on the forum that stock springs can see repeated ventures into the 7500+ rpm range
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Cool.. i'm thinking then just a cleanup then after the oil flush and refill..

last thing to do will be to strip down the motor, have it soda blasted, rebuild it and enjoy the theoretical returned power that i have lost.. either that or i'm expecting too much from something stock that it just won't or can't deliver... Also allows me to check for any near dead parts and see what i really could replace... i'm guessing a new set of rings would be nice and redo all the gaskets on the car after the completed soda blast, possible respray of the block and valve cover.
        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
        Highway - 7.32L/100km
        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Realistically, an engine will lose no more than 15% of it's power throughout it's average lifespan.

You're talking about 5-7 HP, which isn't really even outside the range of error on most dynamometers. It's hardly noticeable. The first thing you'll feel on a rebuild is increased low-end grunt, but it tapers off over the next 50k miles so slowly that you don't really notice it missing anymore, either. Frog in boiling water analogy.

Comment

Working...
          X