best transmission for a b3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best transmission for a b3

Yes festy 4 and 5 speeds have the same diff gear. Supposedly super early 4 speeds have lower final drives resulting in even higher rpm.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

There should be several threads that have a ratio chart posted of all the gears in the various MTX's. I do believe that gears 1-4 are the same in all, with 4th being slightly overdriven. 4 and 5sp Festy boxes do have the same differential gear ratio as well (some call this the final drive) but the 5th gear is even more overdriven. Basically, what bhazzard said. I think your confusion is in the semantics.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Yes 4th is a very slight overdrive. I'm not sure on the why but 1:1 is impossible with a fwd transaxle.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

movin the 4 speed is great untill 55mph then you want a 5th gear i drove the festiva with the 5speed for a month or so with the wine and would hate to go back to the 4speed

Comment

Personally I think 4th is wound out after 30 MPH or so but I'm one of those short shifting MPG minded types.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

If you are doing hiway driving then the 5 speed is worth the money, I like mine for the
              endless roads across deserts around here. You can fine tune the hiway with your choice of transmission that originally had a 12 or 13 inch tire, most of the 12 inch tire
              transmissions will drop your rpm's a little more than the later ones. Obviously your choice of rim and tire outer diameter will be just as important.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

hey i messed up i drive at least 500 miles a week not a month that is why i bought the festiva to begin with i have called all kinds of transmission shops and gpot prices from 450 for bearings to 1200 for complete rebuild. but i did come across one shop who threw the 1200 figure out who said he had a few festiva transmissions in his barn at home that he would make me a hot deal on to give him a call back on monday,he said they have been sitting in the barn for at least 10years and that he has the mileade for each wrote down,think i will see what he has

Comment

Blueoval, I'm replacing my E-series with a G-series in my Festy in the very near future. I'll give you a good deal on it. It's in fine shape other than the clutch slipping due to the BP. I've had no issues with it otherwise. I also drive my festiva over 500 miles a week and with the BP engine I still manage 37+ mpgs with it.
                  Send me a PM if you are interested. The trans will be located near Nashville
                  Last edited by Charlie1717; 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                  The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
                  X