Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make a custom Cold/Ram-air intake..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a custom Cold/Ram-air intake..

Hello all,

Just joined the forums here and just bought my first Festiva. I went from owning Mustangs and Trans-Ams to owning a Festiva. I have to say its not that bad and I like all the attention from the ladies. Lol.

I was just wondering if anyone has installed there own custom intake in this car and what they did to do it. I think a ghetto rigged ram air on this would be just great. I appreciate any help that you guys can give.

Thanks

'91 Festiva GL 5-speed
    '91 Festiva GL "The Roadrunner"

here's mine.

Personally, I don't believe in open filter elements sucking in hot engine bay air.

While my system isn't exactly perfect, it does help the gas mileage a lot.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

YOu can buy a bracket from autozone to hook up a K&N cone filter, and I removed my battery and routed mine down behind the drivers side headlight, lower than where the batter sat, should pick up plenty of air from the road, without to much moister.

Logan

Comment

Ewwww, K&N:

I happen to have an AMSOIL foam air filter. They've been shown to be hit or miss depending on the application. But thanks to several used oil analysis I can say it's a "hit" on my car. Very good filteration. They are discontinued though.

The new EA air filters might be the best thing since sliced bread. But I'm not going through the trouble to hook up a cone filter and try to get cold air.

Honestly, how much air does a 1.3L need? About 150 cfm at 6200 rpms!!!

Thus, why bother with a 9" K&N with poor filteration that flows 9000 cfm?
        www.dantheoilman.com
        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

what kind of difference did you see in gas mileage?
          "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

I'm kind of with DD on this (except that I DO run my CAI with a K&N cone filter).. open the intake and exhaust abit and you have a little more hp, but not enough for anyone but you to notice on a B3.

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
              Ewwww, K&N:

I happen to have an AMSOIL foam air filter. They've been shown to be hit or miss depending on the application. But thanks to several used oil analysis I can say it's a "hit" on my car. Very good filteration. They are discontinued though.

?
              ^^ I have one of Dans AMSOIL Airfilters and I love it. !!!
              ------------------------------------------------
              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

darkdan did you just run that piping from the VAF to the front of your car? Im looking at doing the same sorta thing, is it possible to bi-pass the VAF somehow or is it vital? I hate how the OEM intake is always in a stupid place
                1996 GLi Festiva
                Clarion DB36MP
                Xplod 16cm XS-GF1621X (x4)
                Pioneer 30cm TS-W305C
                ALPINE MRP-F250

Comment

The test showed that the K&N actually did poorly on the test. :shock: That is because they used a different dust in the test for the K&N. In order for a test to be non biased and show ACCURATE RESULTS the test must be performed the same for all of the products tested :x . Now if they had used FINE dust on the paper filters, they would have had VERY similar results as with the K&N. The same if they would have fed the same 'course' dust to the K&N they would have had the same results.
                  Case and point - Nobody lets the free world use a $285,000 machine for free . Sounds like some more AC DELCO propaganda on not using aftermarket airfilters. They didn't even give comparison of the different trucks and types of filters in them - different vehicle is going to introduce more variables.
                  Darkdan - Car manufacturers have been trying to discredit aftermarket parts as being garbage for YEARS. Truth is that most aftermarket parts(the good ones - no 2 cent ebay garbage here) are just as good as or better then OEM . K&N has been around forever - a good K&N is usually the first mod done to a car - because it works :wink: . That report you have is a biased attempt at discrediting a proven product. They fudged the whole thing when they used the different dust. But most people aren't going to go read the data and find how they fudged it to make the numbers they way they are. You can't believe everything you read.
                  HENRY
                  Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

Originally posted by jlord16
                    darkdan did you just run that piping from the VAF to the front of your car? Im looking at doing the same sorta thing, is it possible to bi-pass the VAF somehow or is it vital? I hate how the OEM intake is always in a stupid place
                    The VAF is a key part of the system, it won't run (well, stay running) without it.

Use a cone filter adapter for either an RX-7 or a 323 that will bolt right to the VAF.. come off that with a filter.

Comment

Ok, if i add a pod filter using the adapter do i still need to have the rectangular filter in the VAF?
                      1996 GLi Festiva
                      Clarion DB36MP
                      Pioneer 30cm TS-W305C
                      ALPINE MRP-F250

Comment

Here's what a VAF and a cone filter look like

The cone filter and adapter replace the air box and rectangular filter. You could also extend the intake tube to draw the air from a cooler location.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

So i just ditch my OEM VAF and get one of those adapters to a pod filter and plug the adapter into the hoseclip . Here is a pic of my factory airbox, does the rx-7 adapter pictured above have the terminals for the electrial work to plug into?

1996 GLi Festiva
                          Clarion DB36MP
                          Pioneer 30cm TS-W305C
                          ALPINE MRP-F250

Comment

you have to use a different setup for you aus festiva (aka aspire in the US/CAN)

Its not hard
                            Come check out Fordaspire.com to find more thing for your model!
                            Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

Comment

Re: How to make a custom Cold/Ram-air intake..

gone

"Superduder may or may not be a racist ..." -Pu241

WoW it's just orwelltastic here isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X