Weber adapter plate & aluminum timing covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber adapter plate & aluminum timing covers

Ok i know this has been talked about on here a few different times because i was following the thread when it died... each time somebody is going to have them made, they never do. well i gave up on waiting and had the machine shop my brother in law works at cnc me one. i talked to the machinist and he said he has the dimensions now and we can make more. So my question is how many of you are still waiting for an adapter plate so that i have an idea if its worth me paying him to cnc these things? So my question to you guys is how much are you guys willing to pay(honestly i could care less about making money on these i just need to cover the cost to make them) so when i work out a price with him i know how much is too much... and the way i did mine is bought an adapter kit for another car so i had the plate that mounts to the weber and it has the bolts, nuts, screws, and one gasket fits but i had to make the gasket for the adapter that fits my intake. Or would it be better to have him machine both plates and if you guys buy it all you would need to do is get bolts, screws, and make gaskets. Third option would be i put everything together, but would have to charge more because of time to do it and all.

Second thing is i talked to him about how our timing covers are always warping then getting screwed up by the water pump pulley, he said he can take my timing covers and put them in the computer and then cnc some of those also... only thing is i think they will be a little pricey so i still need to sit down with him and discuss it and see what kind of price we could work out. Do you guys think that would be worth having him do or do we all just start running with no covers? Because i know its really hard to find covers in good shape. If you think its a good idea what kind of price is reasonable? i know it wont be cheap because these pieces will be intricate. If you guys want i will sit down with him and see if i can get a solid price then let you guys know, i just didnt know if anybody would even be interested.

Machining an aluminum timing cover from a billet will be very expensive because of the amount of aluminum that has to be roughed out. It shouldn't be hard on the end mills if the proper cutting fluid is used so that the soft aluminum won't gum up the cutters. Casting an aluminum cover would also be expensive because of the cost to make a mold.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Yeah this guy has a haas cnc ... actually technically he has 6 of them different sizes... i used to run one for the shop sometimes. it wouldnt be an issue of the bits because its an automated cnc, it flows tons of coolant and this guy builds robot parts and some other stuff, so isnt hard for him just need to figure out what he would charge for his time and the machine time and the cost of the blocks of aluminum. just wanted to know if anybody would even be interested.

Comment

That would be really cool if the price point was low enough.

Comment

Yeah thats the only thing im not sure about is the price... ill have to take my covers and meet with him and see if he can gimme a price quote

Comment

Working...
          X