propane carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane carb

so propane pretty much rocks. its relatively cheap, it burns nice and clean cause its a gas at atmospheric pressure. it has performance knock resistance. what keeping you b3 turbo guys or bp turbo guys from running some version of a propane carb. guys back in the day used to run stinking huge blowers on carbd motors and they didnt have any fuel corrections or even a wideband o2 to use, and the muscle cars turned out fine. so why cant we convince our engines to run carbys with propane.?

A run down on the turbo manifolds, Oil and water lines and Propane Hardware im using for the project.....

Comment

It is a better fuel but not as easy to use and finding a good shop is hard enough without finding a good propane shop. I plan on building one after i complete some of my other improvements
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Just get an IPCO system off a small displacement fork lift. Use the bottle system that can be refilled at COOP.

You'd need to lower your compression ratio somehow.

Your mileage probably won't increase, but your driving range could potentially go up. Cost effectiveness depends on the price of propane compared to gasoline.

Farmers with propane trucks used to say mileage was about the same, the only advantage (besides less pollution) was fewer fill ups. But gasoline has gone up in cost since then. Keep in mind the farmers had large bottles on back their trucks.
        Last edited by BigElCat; 02-17-2013, 10:33 PM.
        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
          Just get an IPCO system off a small displacement fork lift. Use the bottle system that can be refilled at COOP.

Your mileage probably won't increase, but your driving range could potentially go up. Cost effectiveness depends on the price of propane compared to gasoline.

Farmers with propane trucks used to say mileage was about the same, the only advantage (besides less pollution) was fewer fill ups. But gasoline has gone up in cost since then. Keep in mind the farmers had large bottles on back their trucks.
          Impco is my favorite, Century second. I have the fork lift tank and two other tanks,one off a van and one off a pickup, much larger than a forklift. They can all be teed together much easier than liquid fuels. I have the auto motive kits off those same rigs, one is a impco 425, way too big but it is for my 289 anyway. The impco 350 will work better than the forklift I think.

The compression needs to be raised to around 12 to 1 for 112 octane and lower btu by 10%, that will give more than 10% back.

If turbo; like mentioned above then compression ratio could be lowered but even with the far quicker throttle response of propane a slightly higher compression ratio would give radical throttle..explosive but no ping and longer engine life.

I installed kits for years and intend to do the Festy but other projects on the festy must be finished first!

Comment

Breakdown on an equal unit of volume basis; propane only has about 75% the energy of gasoline. Burns cleaner but you're going to need a lot more of it if you want to retain the same level of power.

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
              J
              Propane is much higher octane rating than gasoline so can raise Compression ratio.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Breakdown on an equal unit of volume basis; propane only has about 75% the energy of gasoline. Burns cleaner but you're going to need a lot more of it if you want to retain the same level of power.
              Correct on BTU content, but can recoup much of the loss with higher compression from a power stand point, but will use more propane on a volume basis. Based on bheart's previous posts concerning maximum MPG, he may not want the power so much as efficiency and lower cost per mile. Which he may or may not get as propane like all petrochemical fuels, as risen considerably in price in the 5+ years.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The difference is closer to 10%, but the cost is about 50% per cost per mile. Not counting longer oil changes, less wear and better plug life.

Comment

so does anyone have a link for a propane carb. or anyone thats done one on a smaller car like ours. i dont know the single thing about carbies. so anything would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    The difference is closer to 10%, but the cost is about 50% per cost per mile. Not counting longer oil changes, less wear and better plug life.
                    From a US gov't website (Dept of Energy?), per unit volume, I have written down: diesel 128.5 Btu, gasoline 117 Btu, propane 85 Btu, ethanol 76.3 Btu and natural gas 75 Btu. This suggests quite a bit more difference than 10%. 85 divided by 117 is 73 %! I do know propane was all the rage (gov't subsidized) in Canada in the early 70s for taxis and fleet vehicles until the drivers came to realize there was a noticeable drop in power.

Comment

I agree that raising the compression ratio would be a very good way to help, but the "bang for the buck" when it comes to BTU's is hard to get over.

That said, i have a homebrewed, propane carbed mobile genset that is powered with a 1983 Ford Ranger 2.3 spinning a 15 KW gen head.

Not the most efficient set-up but the fuel never spoils and it can power the whole house and garage.

Comment

'Rodger that' on increasing the CR, rather than lowering it.
                        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

i hope this helps you out

propanecarbs.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, propanecarbs.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

here is another link

Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                          Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km
                          City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                            Not the most efficient set-up but the fuel never spoils and it can power the whole house and garage.
                            The fact it doesn't "go bad" is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              From a US gov't website (Dept of Energy?), per unit volume, I have written down: diesel 128.5 Btu, gasoline 117 Btu, propane 85 Btu, ethanol 76.3 Btu and natural gas 75 Btu. This suggests quite a bit more difference than 10%. 85 divided by 117 is 73 %! I do know propane was all the rage (gov't subsidized) in Canada in the early 70s for taxis and fleet vehicles until the drivers came to realize there was a noticeable drop in power.
                              Agreed from the text book, when taking off a gasoline carb or doing dual fuel I was seeing only about 10% on the dyno. Tuning a propane carb is way more accurate than "factory" calibrations of gasoline carbs.

The really strange part is people were saying they got better mileage on propane but that part I could not validate. My own experience was not much difference, to a little loss compared to EFI.

Comment

Working...
                              X