axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axles

So I've found a five speed at the junkyard, and after helpful insight from FestYboy, I know there are a couple things I need to make sure to grab that I hadn't intended to get.... one other thing I was wondering, comparing the Part Numbers on AutoZone.com it appears that the manual axles are the same from basically 88-94... reason I specifiy those years are because mine is an 89, the JY car with the 5spd is a 93, and the JY car that has good axles (if I remember correctly) is an 88.

Now the thing I'm wondering (because AutoZone doesn't specifiy) is that are the manual axles the same whether it's a 5 or 4 speed? Because the 93 car with the 5spd is... well... a 5spd. But the 88 is a 4 spd. I'm just looking at trying to save a couple bucks by grabbing some axles that look like they're in pretty good shape versus axles whose boots are thrashed apart...

If no, or y'all don't think I should even attempt, then I'll just buy new ones for the $45-50/axle

Thanks in advance

Re: axles

All 88-93 manual axles are the same. Aspire are longer. Autos have more inboard splines.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

cool cool... thank you sir!

The car also has a red front and rear bumper (mine is red with uber-fading black bumpers), but the car is being held up by the rear bumper so I can't get it off... and I can't mismatch...

but good to hear I should be able to use the fronts from the 88, thank you for the super quick response

Comment

So if I'm dropping in a FULL Aspire motor and transmission into a Festiva. Do i meed to use the Aspire axels or the Festiva axels?

Comment

You can actually get new driveaxles for $50? In any case I think bhazard sums it all up nicely. Manual Festys are all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gurry624 View Post
            So, if I'm dropping in a FULL Aspire motor and transmission into a Festiva, do I need to use the Aspire axles or the Festiva axles?
            Unless you change to the Aspire Lower Control Arms (LCA) you stick with the Festiva axles.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Im just wondering, if you do an aspire brake swap do you need to use the aspire LCA's?
              91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
              Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
              Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

Awesome. And I did the Aspire suspension swap, so for the rack and pinion, so I swap the Aspire or keep the Festivas?

Comment

Disregard my last post i found my answer in some of my notes

Comment

Powerstiva, what's the answer to your question?

Comment

As as far as what Ive found, it doesn't really matter. I think the Aspire's are just a little more "beefier"
                      Don't quote me though and i would defiantly check with someone else that knows more/has done it, since im only in the planning stages
                      Last edited by Powerstiva; 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ruble View Post
                        So I've found a five speed at the junkyard, and the JY car with the 5spd is a 93,
                        Grab the crankshaft pulley, the pulley boss part that the crankshaft pulley is bolted to and the crankshaft timing gear and key if the pulley looks like the one in the picture on the left. Those are like gold to Festiva engine swappers and if it happens to be a double V pulley with air conditioning, they're platinum. Only the '93s and a few '92s have those pulleys. You may need them yourself, if you ever do an engine swap or help a fellow Festiva owner by selling them to him.
                        You gonna race that thing?
                        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

So in regards to a swap then... Will this five speed I'm about to get be usable for a swap later? Or for only certain engines? Or not at all? Lol

And so what benefits do that pulley have?

I'm going to get whatever it is I need for this trans swap... And if there's something I can get to use this trans in a motor swap later, then cool!

Comment

The 5 speed can be used with any of the usual B series engine swaps such as the 8 valve B6 - 1.6L, 16 valve B6-ME, 16 valve B8-ME 1.8L, and the BP 1.8L. Most of the bigger engines have serpentine belts and in order to keep your current engine accessories (water pump, alternator, power steering, AC) which use a V-belt, you need the V-belt pulley/s off the '93 Festiva engine. Also, if you're going to do any of the 1.8L swaps, the 1.8L block is about 3/4" longer than the 1.3 and 1.6 engines and those '93 pulleys give you a little extra clearance in a very tight location between the pulley and the frame of the car.
                            You gonna race that thing?
                            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Awesome... I appreciate all the help so far...

Comment

Working...
                              X