B6D into 88 Carbed car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6D into 88 Carbed car

I need some help with some insight. As I understand it the B6D is a SOHC 1.6 16 valve engine, but the questions I have are as follows:

1. Is the SOHC 16v engine much better than the SOHC 8v engine
    2. If so, will my carbed intake bolt up to the head

What I am looking to do is get the best direct fit 1.6 that I can still run my carburetor on. I plan to do quite a bit of massaging to the engine (by way of Dickmeyer Engineering) but I want to start with a bit higher displacement while at the same time not having to do a lot of custom fabing to get it to fit. I don't want to convert to FI because it is too much of a headache and tuning a carb is more user friendly. Here are my end goals for the festi: a 1.6l with Dickmeyer ported head, Dickmeyer Header, Custom intake manifold (yet to be designed but researching), Weber 32/36 carb, Dickmeyer custom grind cam, 2" exhaust. I want something real streetable, that still gets pretty good fuel mileage, but will still pull away from the hondumbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert
    1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
    Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)
    Former addictions:03 Cobra, 04 GT Stang (wife's car)

Originally posted by FestiHauler View Post
    I need some help with some insight. As I understand it the B6D is a SOHC 1.6 16 valve engine, but the questions I have are as follows:

1. Is the SOHC 16v engine much better than the SOHC 8v engine
    2. If so, will my carbed intake bolt up to the head

What I am looking to do is get the best direct fit 1.6 that I can still run my carburetor on. I plan to do quite a bit of massaging to the engine (by way of Dickmeyer Engineering) but I want to start with a bit higher displacement while at the same time not having to do a lot of custom fabing to get it to fit. I don't want to convert to FI because it is too much of a headache and tuning a carb is more user friendly. Here are my end goals for the festi: a 1.6l with Dickmeyer ported head, Dickmeyer Header, Custom intake manifold (yet to be designed but researching), Weber 32/36 carb, Dickmeyer custom grind cam, 2" exhaust. I want something real streetable, that still gets pretty good fuel mileage, but will still pull away from the hondumbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert
    Robert the B6D is a DOHC engine,thats what the D designates.You want a B6 its a SOHC engine. And there are quite a few people that have put carbs on these engines,using different methods.
    Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Sorry correction to post, I meant the B6-2E, the B6D was another I was considering but I thought for sure it wouldn't work. Thanks, Robert
      1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
      Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)

Comment

I think you are referring to the B6-ME which is a 16 valve SOHC engine found in the early '90s Mazda MX-3. The American B6-ME was only available in fuel injection version. If you can find someone from Australia, you can get a carbed intake that will fit the B6-ME. The Australian Ford Laser used the B6-ME in carbed form. I fabricated a Festiva carbed intake to fit a B6-ME when I first started in Festivas. It wasn't very pretty, but it worked good enough to win at least one feature race. I had to do a lot of welding and re-drilling to the intake flange as well as a lot of grinding to the intake ports in the head and in the manifold. Even with all the grinding, it wasn't a perfect gasket match. If you want to stay carbed with that engine, I would highly recommend trying to get the Laser intake.

If you use the 8 valve B6, then you have a direct bolt on for your carbed B3 intake, but in my opinion it won't be as responsive as the B6-ME with a Laser Intake and a light weight fly wheel.
        Last edited by Festy46; 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
          I think you are referring to the B6-ME which is a 16 valve SOHC engine found in the early '90s Mazda MX-3. The American B6-ME was only available in fuel injection version. If you can find someone from Australia, you can get a carbed intake that will fit the B6-ME. The Australian Ford Laser used the B6-ME in carbed form. I fabricated a Festiva carbed intake to fit a B6-ME when I first started in Festivas. It wasn't very pretty, but it worked good enough to win at least one feature race. I had to do a lot of welding and re-drilling to the intake flange as well as a lot of grinding to the intake ports in the head and in the manifold. Even with all the grinding, it wasn't a perfect gasket match. If you want to stay carbed with that engine, I would highly recommend trying to get the Laser intake.

If you use the 8 valve B6, then you have a direct bolt on for your carbed B3 intake, but in my opinion it won't be as responsive as the B6-ME with a Laser Intake and a light weight fly wheel.
          That's what I was afraid of! I don't want to do any major fabbing and I thought that carbed versions were only sold overseas. Will the B3 carb intake bolt to the DOHC head? If not it looks like I will be on the look out for a SOHC B6. Thanks for the responses, Robert

Comment

Working...
          X