titanium bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• titanium bolts

I hate removing rusty fasteners. If I ever buy a new car again (probably never), the first thing I would do is replace all of the fasteners with stainless or titanium + antiseize compound (aluminum flake in grease and oil), or remove, antiseize, replace.
    There are a lot of flanged metric stainless bolts on eBay that really aren't stainless. The titanium bolts are very expensive. The UK seller had to buy in economical order quantities of 100 from the manufacturer in Italy.
    What size are Festiva valve cover bolts? I know one member who wished he had some corrosion resistant fasteners for the water neck bolts.
    What grade bolts are the struts held on with? The titanium bolts are Grade 5.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM.

The valve cover bolts are M6x1.00 and the water outlet one are M8x1.25
    '89 L Charcoal
    '89 L Red
    '91 Ranger
    '65 F100

Sepmer Fi

Comment

How long are they?

Also, is grade 5 sufficient for strut bolts and control arms?

If so, what size are the strut bolts and LCA bolts?
      Last edited by bravekozak; 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        I hate removing rusty fasteners. If I ever buy a new car again (probably never), the first thing I would do is replace all of the fasteners with stainless or titanium + antiseize compound (aluminum flake in grease and oil), or remove, antiseize, replace.
        There are a lot of flanged metric stainless bolts on eBay that really aren't stainless. The titanium bolts are very expensive. The UK seller had to buy in economical order quantities of 100 from the manufacturer in Italy.
        What size are Festiva valve cover bolts? I know one member who wished he had some corrosion resistant fasteners for the water neck bolts.
        What grade bolts are the struts held on with? The titanium bolts are Grade 5.
        Grade 5 would indicate it is a Standard thread vs a metric. So Grade 5 (3 hash marks on head of bolt) is equal to Metric 8.8 (marked as 8.8 )
        Grade 8 (6 hash marks) is equal to Metric 10.9 (marked 10.9)
        Metric 12.9 Is typical for Socket Head Cap Screws, I suppose Grade 9 would be similar....

Titanium is typically only suitable up to applications needing 8.8 or less. If the application needs something stronger than Grade 5 or 8.8 then you should not use Titanium. Usually the titanium is good when trying to reduce weight. Titanium is almost half the weight of steel.

For my Water neck bolts I used Stainless cap screws and they have worked very well, much easier for removing and putting back on.

Stainless Metric Grades are
        A2- less resistant to corrosion
        A4- more resistant to corrosion (marine applications)

The number after A2 or A4 (example- A4-50 or A4-70 or A4-80 or A4-100) represents the Tensile strength, Multiply the number by 10 and that indicates the tensile in MPa

VS the Standard Grades
        18-8
        304 (most common)
        316 (more corrosive resistance)

And I'm not going to go into the differences of those, since we are all about metric!

I'd say when it comes to suspension (especially load bearing) I'd stick with 10.9, or grade 8.
        Last edited by Charlie1717; 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
        The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

O.K. Everyone needs grade 8.8 bolts for suspension components.
          Thanks.

Are the valve cover bolts 30mm long?
          Last edited by bravekozak; 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

titanium bolts

Not sure but 30mm is 1 3/16 inch.. 25mm is 1 inch

and I said I'd stick with 10.9... 8.8 is equal to grade 5. I'd stick with grade 8 or 10.9
            Last edited by Charlie1717; 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM.
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Thanks again. I will be ordering a complete set of OEM bolts for my entire suspension from Four Green.
              The bolts don't cost very much and it will be part of a larger order.
              It never hurts to change them every quarter century.

Comment

The valve cover bolts are 30MM. They are the hex flange style bolts
                '89 L Charcoal
                '89 L Red
                '91 Ranger
                '65 F100

Sepmer Fi

Comment

Thanks fast. Would you know what size bolts for the exhaust manifold?
                  I was planning to order some replacement studs.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

The exhaust ones are M8x1.25x30MM same for the intake side
                    '89 L Charcoal
                    '89 L Red
                    '91 Ranger
                    '65 F100

Sepmer Fi

Comment

The Brits (during the 60s) used to use brass for studs, bolts and nuts on exhaust systems and I never had any problem getting those loose.

Comment

Working...
                      X