No announcement yet.

fms race cam and boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springs are 120.00. I would say @ minimum using up all .110 HLA movement maybe worse.
    PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

thanks for all the info matt and i trust you mos def. just curious as to if anyone has ever gotten the specs off the stage 3 "race" cam? i have the stage 2 "street cam in my b6 car and really enjoy it kinda feels like v-tech when you hit about 3200 rpms . i know denis loves his b6 with the "street" cam and boost. i def see the point of a spring upgrade especially if you are going to bump the rev limiter (fuel cut off) up a bit. btw has anyone here ever done that or know how to bump the fuel cut up a bit aside from a stand alone unit? maybe a neo? just thought id ask
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
        Springs are 120.00. I would say @ minimum using up all .110 HLA movement maybe worse.
        Matt-

what is the exact rocker ratio on these things? I'm trying to check for coil bind, but it's not cooperating with me. The two that I've checked seem to be OK (albeit CLOSE), but I think the HLAs are compressing as the lobe approaches max lift and spring pressure spikes....due to no oil pressure (engine not running, obviously). The only way I can think of getting a good measurement is to pull a rocker shaft and use a dial indicator to measure absolute lift to coil bind. I know my exact lobe lift, but I don't think I've ever been exact on determining lift @ valve due to the above mensioned HLA compression. It's close enough that even .020" will make a difference.
        I think if it does experience coil bind, it may be so close that its compressing the HLA slightly. The engine ran great, and no signs of wear, but if this is the case, I'm not sure how it would react....? Obviously, it would be costing performance in terms of net valve lift, but I would think you should be able to notice something in terms of throttle response?
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

blkfordsedan.....there are several ways to do this. Most of you have spare parts laying around, the most effective way is if you happen to have an adjustable rocker, install it & check that way. But since they are harder to come by & in my case, the cams I am setting up have reduced base circles beyond the adjust-ability, I just made my own rocker for setting up valve train using a 90-93 hydraulic rocker. Here is a picture

Comment

Already thought of that. I'll probably make one. My only concern with the mechanical rocker is bolting the rocker rails "off and on" so many times to check each individual spring. Aluminum threads make me nervous. I figured it would be easier to just move the dial indicator from one to the next. If I knew the max rocker ratio, I could calculate lift @ the valve and use that to see how close it actually is. Although, using an adjustable rocker would be the most accurate and dependable way.

I may not even mess with it and just buy a set of springs.
            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

No need to check all 8, just 1 intake & 1 exhaust. Unless someone did a terrible V/J on your head with all different valve depths. Rocker ratio is 1.76 & peak lift

Comment

I figured I would check one each first and go from there, depending how close it is. The measurements I got before showed 1.75xx:1 for the rocker ratio, so I was close. My lobe lift is .256"..... So I'm looking at right about .450" @ valve. Im pretty sure some new springs are in order. it did take a long time for the HLAs to pump up, LOL. Any issues with retainer to guide clearance?
                Brian

Comment

No interference upto .485

Comment

Working...
                  X