Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust question

I've researched this alot on here & get conflecting answers. I know everyones oppinion will be different, But one last time (at least from me). I gather the stock diameter is 1.5". I have the FMS header & the pipe dia. is 1.75( 1 3/4) ". I don't want a loud exhaust , just a boost in performance ( however small). Which system would fulfill this best. (1) 2" pipes with a Flowmaster Super 44, or (2) 1.75" pipes with a Magnaflow muffler. No number (3), etc. Thanks ya'll!
    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Is there a catalytic converter involved?

If it's a straight through muffler I'd go with a 2" pipe, if it's a regular muffler I'd stay with a smaller diameter pipe. I've got stock size pipes straight back to the mufflers and the cherrybomb is loud, but the one with a stock muffler is pretty quiet. I think a 2" pipe would quiet down the cherrybomb. The cherrybomb sounds good, it's deep and throaty, not all bumblebee ish, the thing is just slightly too loud for comfortable 70mph driving.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Re: Exhaust question

I don't think making the car louder is gonna boost performance.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'm sorry , cat deleted already. Yea, don't want a glass pack. I'm gonna go with 1 of the choices I posted. I said I don't want it LOUD, just want a power boost.
        Magnaflow & Flowmaster are both performance mufflers, & both straight through. With a little more checkin' , will not use the Flowmaster Super 44 series, to aggressive (loud) sound. If I go Flowmaster I'll use the 60 series ,moderate sound. Thanks for your response.
        Last edited by navdoc101; 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I never said anything about you making the car loud.. I said MY car is loud. If it's a straight through design like a cherrybomb, chances are good it's going to be loud, especially without a cat, hence the question. A bigger pipe (more area to fill) will keep the velocity down so it would be quieter with a bigger pipe. I don't know the difference between a 60 series and a k series, I'm just saying..
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

In all honesty, if you have a B3......you'll probably get a boost in performance by going back to the stock manifold, at least in the low RPM range that most street driving is done in. Is your FMS header the smaller 4-1 B3 header or the tri-Y B6 header? The smaller B3 header would probably be OK, but I think the tri-y B6 header costs you some HP through the low and midrange. Most people have reported this, and Matt has done dyno testing on the FMS B6 header that confirmed the losses. Just throwin' that out there as food for thought.
            For the exhaust, if you want low restriction and a quiet but nice tone, I would go with a Magnaflow or a Walker DynoMax Super Turbo muffler. Either 1.75" or 2" would be fine. The 2" may give a little deeper tone.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

i would not use bigger exhaust with a stock engine. you just need a system with smoother bends and a nice smooth smaller primary header.
              im making my header with 1.05 inch primaries. i dont want to loose low end torque. and it should be leaps and bounds better than the stock mani

Comment

Its the B3 header with 1.75 primaries. zoom I was answering bhazards post. The performance is still pepy now with a small top end boost , & I can't tell any loss in the low end. I was leaning towered the Magnaflow & 1.75" dia. pipes. My son was pushin' the 2" & Flowmaster. Thanks All!!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Since you have the B3 header you should be good. Its a 4-into-1 design isn't it? I think 2" would still be OK....I would say whatever is cheapest and easiest to get, but I would probably avoid a chambered muffler. You MUST post a video sound clip when it's done!
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

2" and a Turbo II muffler from Thrush.... i also have a cherry bomb in line as a resonator. quiet at idle, throaty under load, NEVER buzzy. sounds more like a healthy V6.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      2" and a Turbo II muffler from Thrush.... i also have a cherry bomb in line as a resonator. quiet at idle, throaty under load, NEVER buzzy. sounds more like a healthy V6.
                      Thats what I have & I love it.I dont have a Cat,not sure if you do....Its not so loud that my wife complains.But when you take it up to red line she sounds all business.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Re: Exhaust question

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        Thats what I have & I love it.I dont have a Cat,not sure if you do....Its not so loud that my wife complains.But when you take it up to red line she sounds all business.
                        I have four cats. It gets pretty loud, especially if we haven't fed them at their normal time.
                        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

My truck has headers and a 3 inch dual exhaust out the back bumper. The first mufflers were Flowmaster super 40's. The cops were not to understanding of my loud music. I have to admit I cringed when I tipped those big secondaries vertical! I put in a pair of delta flow 3 inch 50's and now those are real music. They that flowmaster sound but it is real mellow.
                          The little turbo mufflers would be easier to fit, especially with a trailer hitch.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I use 2 flowmaster delta flow 50s on my truck. For a V8 at least, it gives a great sound that is deep but not loud. People say my truck sounds great and rednecks complain that my truck isn't loud enough.

When I swap over to a B8 I am going to run 2" pipe with a Delta flow 50. The 50s are made to be quiter than the 40s. They should be the same performance, just quieter.
                            88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
                            92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
                            91 - Shell with title
                            92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                              I have four cats. It gets pretty loud, especially if we haven't fed them at their normal time.
                              HA HA Thats hilarious,good one Brian!

Originally posted by TheNewAmericanSpirit View Post
                              I use 2 flowmaster delta flow 50s on my truck. For a V8 at least, it gives a great sound that is deep but not loud. People say my truck sounds great and rednecks complain that my truck isn't loud enough.

When I swap over to a B8 I am going to run 2" pipe with a Delta flow 50. The 50s are made to be quiter than the 40s. They should be the same performance, just quieter.
                              I'd like to hear the 40 series on a 1.8 ,please take a vid and post it.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X